A BARROW police officer who was facing the sack for the second time in three months has quit the force, The Mail can reveal.

PC Dave Edwards was given a final written warning in November after he allegedly assaulting his wife Michelle on a night out in Barrow.

A police misconduct hearing panel said "it is entirely unacceptable for police officers, who are responsible for enforcing the law, to break it" but avoided sacking PC Edwards by a "narrow margin".

The panel heard PC Edwards, a keen runner, had also been arrested in 2015 on suspicion of assaulting his wife but no further action was taken.

PC Edwards was then suspended just weeks later after a work do in December 2018 in Ulverston when he allegedly assaulted colleagues.

This was confirmed by the force in January when a spokesman for police said: "A Police Constable from South Cumbria is currently suspended whilst allegations made against him are investigated."

The Mail understands PC Edwards has since resigned from the force meaning he will still be able to claim his police pension.

If an officer resigns between two and 25 years service, but not having reached the age of 55, they will receive their pension but not until they reach the age of 60.

If an officer resigns between 25 and 30 years, service, again before the age of 55, they will receive a lump sum - the pension fund multiplied by 2.25 - which is payable when they reach the age of 50.

A retired police officer from Barrow described Edwards' resignation as "an attempt to escape punishment".

The Mail contacted Edwards about his resignation but he declined to comment.

Temporary Chief Inspector Jenny Beattie, Head of Professional Standards, said: “Cumbria Constabulary treats all criminal allegations made against police officers and police staff extremely seriously. Criminal Investigations against police officers and staff are carried out in the same way as any other investigation and completed thoroughly and professionally.

“The officer has been investigated in connection with criminal offences, however, there was insufficient evidence for a criminal prosecution. As a result the officer will face disciplinary proceedings.

“Disciplinary proceedings have not yet taken place but are scheduled to take place in public in the near future. All results will be publicly available following this.”