A 28-YEAR-OLD man last night remained in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of murder.

Police were called by paramedics to Provincial Street, Barrow at around 6.30pm on Tuesday.

On their arrival they found a 70-year-old man suffering with serious injuries to his throat and chest inside the property.

Despite the best efforts of medics, the victim named as sports enthusiast John MacMillan, was pronounced dead at the scene.

The community reacted in horror as the shock news of the semi retired taxi driver's death spread.

Yesterday crime scene investors could be seen trying to piece together what happened.

A police cordon was in place at both ends of Provincial Street.

Three police sniffer dogs were also brought in to help trace evidence.

Neighbour Brandon Barry said: “This incident has left the community shaken up.

“I live with my girlfriend and two-year-old daughter so as you can imagine I’m quite anxious about their safety.

“I was told by an eyewitness a man was stood at the end of our street around 6.30pm with blood in his hair and on his clothes.

“I’ve also heard the man was seen trembling before he was arrested.”

Giuseppe Casoni, who also lives in Provincial Street, said: “I have lived on this street for 16 years and this is the first time something like this has happened.

“To hear that it is an alleged stabbing is worrying - I am truly shocked”.

Aaron North, who lives on the neighbouring street Friars Lane, said: “It’s a shock for this to happen just outside my window.

“I nipped out around 6pm on Tuesday evening and came back later to see all the commotion.

“It’s usually a quiet area, but I would probably say Provincial Street can get quite loud.”

Last night officers were granted a 36-hour court extension to further question the 28-year-old man in custody.

A Cumbria Police spokesman said: "Officers investigating the death of a man in his 70s at an address in Barrow have arrested a man on suspicion of murder.

"Cumbria Police were contacted by NWAS at around 6.40pm to a report of a man having suffered a serious injury at the address.

"The injured man had suffered serious injuries to his throat and chest and was declared dead at the scene.

"Officers yesterday secured a magistrates’ court extension allowing detectives further time to interview a man arrested on suspicion of murder.

"Officers yesterday remained at the scene and detectives are asking that anyone with knowledge or information about this incident who has not yet come forward does so."

Anyone with information about the incident should call police on 101 referencing incident 427 of 18 June 2019 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.