A pub landlord was taken to hospital after becoming overcome by heat and fumes attempting to put out a kitchen fire.

Three fire engines from Ulverston and Barrow were called to the Kings Head pub on Queen Street in Ulverston at 3.58am this morning.

Fire services were at the blaze for almost two hours before it was extinguished.

One man, the landlord, was rescued from the building and taken to hospital after being given first aid by firefighters.

A spokesman from Ulverston Fire Station said: “The landlord attempted to put the fire out but was overcome by the heat and fumes.

“Police attempted to pull him out of the property but were forced to retreat due to heat and fumes.

“Fire crews using breathing apparatus were able to pull the landlord out of the building.

“He was then taken to hospital after being given first aid by fire service crews.

“The smoke and the heat alone were enough to incapacitate the landlord which just goes to show it doesn’t take a lot in these situations.”

The spokesman said the cause of the fire was currently unknown, but investigations have ruled out an electrical fire.