AS Black Combe and the Lake District hills have had their first snow of the winter, we have taken a look through The Mail's archive for how we coped when wintry conditions reached the towns and villages of Furness.

Older readers may recall the fierce winters of 1940, 1947 and 1962 but there have been plenty of bad frosts and periods of heavy snow since then.

The Mail on February 2 in 1994 recorded the fun as Phillipines-born Remily Gifford, 37, saw snow for the first time in her life.

It was less fun for people trying to get to work or make deliveries.

The Mail noted: "The Furness peninsula and Millom were cut off yesterday afternoon as driving snow blocked road and rail links with the rest of Britain.

"Roads to the Dalton bypass became blocked by abandoned vehicles and the A590 link with the M6 was closed at Newby Bridge."

People found other ways to get around in the snow.

The article noted: "Ulverston shopkeeper Irene Thompson became a Good Samaritan by donning skis and battling through the snow to get urgent shopping for 75-year-old disabled widow Jean Benson, of Trinity Gardens.

The Winfield's show shop, in Cavendish Street, Barrow, sold 260 pair of Wellington boots in a day — rather than the normal 50 pairs a week.

The Iolanthe show at Forum 28 by Barrow Savoyards went ahead — despite four members of the chorus and another four from the orchestra failing to make it in.

Barrow Borough Council had 147 miles of road to cover with two gritter lorries and three snow ploughs.

The council's highways officer Ian Dodsworth said: "We have to be careful spreading salt and grit — there is only so much of it and it is easy to go through the stuff at an alarming rate.

"We always have to try to keep something in reserve until March when winter ends."

On February 6 in 1996, The Mail noted: "Thousands of people struggled to work today in snow-blitzed Furness.

The Mail, on February 12 in 1991, noted: "Motorists heading towards Barrow on the A590 took as long as two hours to get from Ulverston to Dalton.

This big freeze prompted a warning to parents in South Cumbria to keep children off the ice and out of danger.

Barrow Park's lake was iced over and people were able to walk out on the frozen water of Tarn Hows, near Coniston.

There was also ice at Ormsgill Reservoir and Ulverston Canal.

The article noted: "Police have now stepped up routine checks of all waterways.

"Children playing on small tarns near Dalton were told to get off the ice and warned of the dangers of frozen water.

"Police now fear a tragedy unless children, who are on their half-term holiday, are extremely careful."

"Many of them trudged into Barrow by foot but others had to give in and stay at home."

At Barrow's VSEL shipyard around 85 per cent of the staff made it to work.

Spokesman Mike Smith said: "A lot of people tried to get in by nay means possible, even though it has caused them great difficulties."

Snow also caused problems in 2006 when The Mail, on March 13, noted: "Helicopter crews and coastguards were called in as heavy snowfall plunged Furness into chaos."

It noted: "Schools, railways and roads across South and West Cumbria were closed this morning.

"Sellafield workers travelling north by train were turned back at Millom station after drifting snow blocked the line."

Walney Coastguard was called out to clear the snow from the helicopter landing pad at Furness General Hospital.

Members also used four-wheel-drive vehicles to accompany ambulances.

Police were charging £200 to recover any vehicles abandoned in the snow.