Workington lingerie shop shuts to concentrate on web sales
Last updated at 13:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lingerie shop has closed its doors in Workington in a bid to focus business on online sales.
Madame Gerties Emporium, of Wilson Street, specialised in vintage-style underwear and accessories.
It was opened two years ago by Laura Fagan, of Portland Square, along with an online store.
She said that web sales had always done well, so closing the shop would mean more time to develop the business online.
She added: “Sales this Christmas were steady and comparable to the previous year but I think retail in general is struggling so moving everything online will help us grow, especially as we are in a niche market.”
Ms Fagan said the website was attracting customers from as far as Europe and America.
The mum-of-two added: “Customers were shopping through the website partly for the anonymity.
“But it has been a fantastic two years and I am really pleased I opened the shop in my home town.”
Ms Fagan was one of the winners of last year’s Local Business Accelerator scheme, run by the , which saw her offered the chance to work with local business mentors.
First published at 13:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
- Mountain rescue team attend to fell walker with head injury in Lakes
- Man's body found on Barrow beach
- Bottles of spirits stolen from Ulverston Food Festival stall
- UPDATE: Missing wild camper in Cumbria found safe and well
- Dog found on Cumbria mountain returns home
- Man, 66, dies after Cumbria crash
- Food lovers line the streets for Ulverston festival
- Your guide to Kidfest in Barrow - Britain's biggest children’s music festival
- Delight for Swarthmoor singer as Misstasia make live shows of Britain's Got Talent
- Rare bird spotted in Furness (1 comment)
- Adopted Cumbrian Ben blasts fastest Test ton at Lord's
- Grand National winner plots Cartmel success
- Record prize money on offer for Cartmel in 2015
- Raiders ace Wiper desperate for return
- Added sparkle for Cartmel ladies race
- Capital result and good time for bonding
- Max Wiper desperate for Barrow Raiders return
- Walney Cents win Barton Townley Cup thriller (1 comment)
- Hambley set for Barrow Raiders debut
- England Under-17s call-up for Barrow football ace
- Super South Cumbria holiday weekend for live music
- Countdown to December
- Price tag of £800 for the perfect pint
- Golden era of the variety acts gets return to stage
- WEDDING ALBUM: Michelle Fredericks and Matthew Wilson
- Rail station mix-up brought firm to town
- Church pulls in drinkers
- FOOD REVIEW: The Wheatsheaf Inn, Brigsteer (1 comment)
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Slovenia
- An invite to party like its 1945
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|