Workington lingerie shop shuts to concentrate on web sales
Last updated at 13:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lingerie shop has closed its doors in Workington in a bid to focus business on online sales.
Madame Gerties Emporium, of Wilson Street, specialised in vintage-style underwear and accessories.
It was opened two years ago by Laura Fagan, of Portland Square, along with an online store.
She said that web sales had always done well, so closing the shop would mean more time to develop the business online.
She added: “Sales this Christmas were steady and comparable to the previous year but I think retail in general is struggling so moving everything online will help us grow, especially as we are in a niche market.”
Ms Fagan said the website was attracting customers from as far as Europe and America.
The mum-of-two added: “Customers were shopping through the website partly for the anonymity.
“But it has been a fantastic two years and I am really pleased I opened the shop in my home town.”
Ms Fagan was one of the winners of last year’s Local Business Accelerator scheme, run by the , which saw her offered the chance to work with local business mentors.
First published at 13:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow pair admitted to stealing items from Oxfam charity collection (2 comments)
- Mother of tasered Barrow bodybuilder Dale Burns leads calls for ban
- Browse the ASBO gallery (9 comments)
- Charity shop opens in Barrow to support families of war heroes
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (1 comment)
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|