Workington lingerie shop shuts to concentrate on web sales
Last updated at 13:04, Friday, 11 January 2013
A lingerie shop has closed its doors in Workington in a bid to focus business on online sales.
Madame Gerties Emporium, of Wilson Street, specialised in vintage-style underwear and accessories.
It was opened two years ago by Laura Fagan, of Portland Square, along with an online store.
She said that web sales had always done well, so closing the shop would mean more time to develop the business online.
She added: “Sales this Christmas were steady and comparable to the previous year but I think retail in general is struggling so moving everything online will help us grow, especially as we are in a niche market.”
Ms Fagan said the website was attracting customers from as far as Europe and America.
The mum-of-two added: “Customers were shopping through the website partly for the anonymity.
“But it has been a fantastic two years and I am really pleased I opened the shop in my home town.”
Ms Fagan was one of the winners of last year’s Local Business Accelerator scheme, run by the , which saw her offered the chance to work with local business mentors.
First published at 13:01, Friday, 11 January 2013
Published by http://www.newsandstar.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (32 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- ‘Deadly’ pigeon droppings force Millom council closure (1 comment)
- Ulverston housing scheme ‘last chance to keep park going’ (2 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|