Walney drinker jailed for theft of booze
Last updated at 13:55, Wednesday, 11 April 2012
A MAN who uses alcohol as a “coping mechanism” has been sent to prison for stealing from a garage on Walney.
David William Hunt, 34, of Portsmouth Street, Walney, stole £80 worth of alcohol from the property on Osprey Drive.
In the early hours of February 20 he was seen running away from the house by the owners after they heard noises coming from the garage.
Furness Magistrates’ Court heard a police dog was used to track Hunt from Osprey Drive to his house, where the empty bottles were recovered.
Building work was taking place at the house so the garage was open at the back of the property.
The court heard he jumped over a garden fence to gain access to the garage to steal vodka, beer and wine.
Prosecuting, Mrs Lisa Hine, said: “He knew full well what he was doing was not legal, but his dependence on alcohol was too much for him.”
The court heard just two nights earlier Hunt had received alcohol from a friend, despite knowing that it was stolen.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, said: “He uses alcohol as a coping mechanism for the stress in his life.”
Hunt pleaded guilty to both the theft and the burglary.
District Judge, Gerald Chalk, said: “You have caused a great deal of distress to the people you stole from.”
Hunt was sentenced to 84 days in prison for the burglary and 14 for the theft, which will run alongside each other.
First published at 13:09, Wednesday, 11 April 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|