Walney Coastguard team can search but not rescue
Last updated at 17:58, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
A FURNESS coastguard team stood down last year pending an internal investigation is back on duty – but is still not permitted to carry out rescues.
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency confirmed last month that Walney Coastguard, which has 14 volunteers, was taken offline around December 20 for “operational reasons”.
A team from MCA headquarters was due to visit the Liverpool Coastguard base and Walney in January as part of the investigation.
A spokeswoman for the MCA said the team was now back online, but the review is still ongoing and the team is permitted to carry out search duties only.
It means they are not permitted to engage in the physical process of a rescue operation.
The neighbouring Arnside and Millom coastguard teams, tasked last year with covering the patch, are still doing so. The MCA spokeswoman said: “Cover is still being provided by flank teams, including Arnside and Millom.
“When their assistance is needed, they will be paged by the team at Liverpool Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre and those available will respond and attend.
“In most cases, Coastguard Rescue Teams are called out on searches at the request of other authorities – often police – in the search for missing or vulnerable people.
“As it stands at the moment in the Walney area, if there was a call to attend a rescue, for example if someone was stuck in mud, the flank teams would be requested to attend.”
Walney coastguard was among the agencies - chiefly Ulverston Inshore Rescue - called on Sunday when a plane had reportedly crashed off the Furness coast.
The teams were stood down when it was confirmed the sighting was in fact a microlight on a training mission.
When asked whether sufficient provision was being provided, the MCA spokeswoman said the agency was unable to comment.
John Whitford, station officer at Millom Coastguard, said his team had provided cover on three occasions.
He said: “Obviously, there was a delay in us getting down there, but we’ve got communications by phone and radio and travel down and take over when we get there.
“But it’s been going okay and they are back online now with a limited capacity.”
First published at 16:25, Tuesday, 26 February 2013
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
- Tributes paid to Barrow father of twins killed in collision on main road (4 comments)
- Carlisle woman punched man she was about to have sex with
- Woman fined for being drunk in charge of children in Barrow supermarket
- Barrow teen gives no indication of plea for assault on two women
- Hundreds attend funeral of inspiring Barrow PE teacher (3 comments)
- Uproar at Barrow service charge hikes vote (3 comments)
- New Ulverston group may take charge of town car parks (8 comments)
- Barrow man jailed for animal cruelty (22 comments)
- Barrow duo in court over cemetery shooting (11 comments)
- Barrow dad killed in Cumbria crash named (12 comments)
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Immigrant stole whisky worth £1,080 from Barrow store (6 comments)
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|