Walney Carnival under threat if new secretary not found
Last updated at 16:35, Tuesday, 30 October 2012
A CARNIVAL is under threat next year unless a new secretary joins its committee.
Walney Carnival Committee is desperately appealing to find a secretary so the island celebration can go ahead next July.
The small team has been seeking a replacement for the former secretary, Sara Smith, who stepped down this summer. But the plea through Facebook and posters has not attracted anyone so far.
As well as the enjoyment of carnival day, the event also raises money for good causes on Walney, and community events for families on the island.
It is now feared that all this will end. Most of the committee work full time and the secretary role is suited to someone who may only work part time, as they need to be able to make phone calls in the day time, but with the support of the committee.
Chairman Steve Thornton said: “If we don’t get a secretary it’s finished. We wouldn’t have a carnival and we couldn’t raise the money for charities. I think people would be devastated if there was no carnival on Walney. It’s a big thing on the island. We just have to hope.”
Walney Carnival Committee held its annual family Halloween party and cheque presentation to seven worthy cause on Friday night.
Treasurer John Reynolds explained at the presentation that the carnival was in jeopardy.
Speaking to the Evening Mail, Mr Reynolds said: “We have had posters up in schools and we set up a Facebook page but we have had no one forward. On carnival day we always get a lot of volunteers. It’s just a couple of hours a week that is needed and it would be supported. It’s having the time in the day time to contact people.
“We want to continue to help projects on the island.”
One community group which also knows about giving their time to their community is Walney Community First Responders, which received £200 at the presentation.
First responder Keith Sharpe, who accepted the cheque, said: “You just have to look at it here tonight, it’s a community event that is what the carnival is for. We wouldn’t like to see the carnival go. We hope they get a secretary.”
Anyone interested in finding out about being the secretary is asked to call Mr Thornton on 07856 753482. See more about the good causes that benefited from Walney Carnival in Thursday’s Evening Mail.
First published at 16:28, Monday, 29 October 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Barrow MP among 19 to have had parliamentary credit card suspended
- UPDATE: Four arrested in Windermere murder investigation
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- Man stabbed in leg during Cumbria assault
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- A590 path repair project announced (1 comment)
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Barrow Raiders hoping to roar in Lion's den
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success (1 comment)
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan (1 comment)
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow football fan banned after shouting abuse (1 comment)
- Cumbria rail provider: Hamster, false teeth and Barry Manilow CD among lost items (1 comment)
- Barrovian's World Cup brace helps England smash Japan
- 'Unacceptable' 100-mile round journeys for Barrow disability assessments (1 comment)
- Enjoy the sun: Best beaches in south Cumbria (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|