Last updated at 13:40, Tuesday, 03 July 2012
SUPER cute dancing tots in sparkly costumes and roller skating sportswomen helped to get an island in the party spirit.
Hundreds of people came out to cheer on those parading the streets for Walney Carnival.
The sun came out as cheerleaders, Thunderbirds dancers, and juniors from Walney Central Rugby League Club made their way to North Walney Primary School playing field, off Mill Lane.
Carnival Queen, Deni Gosling, 11, said: “It has been an amazing day.”
Dance Fusion had around 80 dancers, from one-year-olds to mums, dancing. Dance Fusion teacher, Tori Millis, said: “It’s been a very good day. Dancing at the carnivals is good fun. Nowhere else in England does this, it’s special to our area.”
Sisters Keely and Jayd Arnold, 14 and 16, of Walney, danced with Kreativ.
Keely, who performed an air hostess routine, said: “It has been good. I like performing, taking part and winning.”
Furness Firecrackers, the area’s local roller derby team, whizzed along the route on their skates. Laura Carruthers, aka ‘LC Tan-her’, said: “It’s our first carnival season. It’s a good atmosphere.”
Walney Tenants’ and Residents’ Association organises the carnival, which raises money for local groups, charities and projects.
This year Taylor Henderson, 11, cut the ribbon to start the carnival. The association donated £300 to his motorised scooter appeal.
Sara Smith, one of the committee, said: “It’s been brilliant, it’s taken a lot of preparation, and the atmosphere is fantastic.’’
First published at 13:31, Tuesday, 03 July 2012
Published by http://www.walneylocal.co.uk
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Letting the train add to the strain (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|