Tap-and-go at post office
Published at 14:08, Friday, 08 June 2012
The Post Office is starting the roll-out of contactless tap-and-go payment technology to its 30,000 counter positions next week.
Terminals enabling people to make small payments with just one swipe will be available across the network of more than 11,500 branches, making transactions faster and more convenient, the Post Office said.
The scheme will be launched next Wednesday in almost 200 branches around various Olympic sites and is expected to be completed by the end of October.
The Post Office said the initiative will be the largest deployment of contactless technology in Europe and will put the terminals within three miles of 99 per cent of the UK population.
Contactless schemes allow customers to make small payments by tapping their card on a reader at the point of sale without the need to sign or enter a pin number.
Once installed, holders of MasterCard PayPass or Visa payWave cards will be able to use the system in all Post Office Limited branches across the UK, with a limit of £20 per transaction.
The Post Office said the technology is well suited to businesses which need to offer a quick service to customers who need to make low value payments.
Published by http://www.cumberlandnews.co.uk
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together