Woollybacks on the brink of title
Published at 13:13, Friday, 17 February 2012
BARROW AND DISTRICT RLMILLOM can wrap up the Barrow and District League title tomorrow if they triumph against Dalton at Kelland Park.
A win for the Woollybacks would give them an unassailable lead at the top – but victory is far from guaranteed against a Dalton side who performed well in beating Askam last weekend.
Another intriguing fixture takes place at Dragley Beck, where third-placed Ulverston take on fourth-placed Barrow Island.
In the other fixture, Walney Central will be expected to strengthen their position in second place as they travel to bottom club Roose Pioneers.
Last week saw great results for both Dalton and Hindpool. The Tigers produced a solid performance to hold off an Ulverston comeback at Brisbane Park and win 29-24.
Points were also plentiful at Fallowfield Park, where Dalton had the edge over Askam and won a hard-fought match 39-32.
Dalton led 18-10 at half-time, with their tries coming from Stuart High, Ben Lewney, Stuart Tippett, Ryan Baines, Paul Graham and Matt Dury, with conversions from Dave Thompson.
In the second period, Chris Vanstone, Mike Richards and veteran Dave Tippett scored tries for Askam, with Crawford kicking four goals to try and spur on a comeback. But two second-half tries by Tippett, plus one from Greg O’Conner and some superb kicking by Thompson put Dalton on the road to victory.
The points were secured when Baines edged Dalton further ahead with a smartly-taken drop-goal.
Tomorrow’sFixtures (2pm): Walney v Roose Pioneers, Redwaters; Ulverston v Barrow Island, Dragley Beck; Dalton v Millom, Kelland Park.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Health and transport plans could win seat
- UPDATE: Van driver sustains minor head injury after A590 crash
- Cumbria great-grandfather wins £727k share of Lotto jackpot (1 comment)
- Sandwich and coffee chains serve up jobs boost for town
- Barrow students sign up to save a life and continue Ulverston girl’s legacy
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- South Cumbria Musical Festival entrants well versed in spoken word round
- Key performances from musicians at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Firm hopes £5m Barrow Island flats revamp will attract new tenants (3 comments)
- Tribute to Barrow angler Don
- Barrow AFC winger hoping to be let loose on Stockport
- "We'll be ready" roars Barrow Raiders ace ahead of league opener (2 comments)
- It's 400-up for Ulverston-born Wilkes - Super League next target (6 comments)
- Hawcoat Park come close to causing upset
- Late flourish ends Furness hopes of flattening Fleetwood
- Cooksey does Brook Street proud
- Pete on the Beat: Home Nations have hard work to come
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure (2 comments)
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (7 comments)
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|