Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 03 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Windermere turn on the magic with big win

WINDERMERE moved within touching distance of a top-five finish in the Cumbria League after a convincing win against a weakened Kirkby Lonsdale A.

50042983B004.jpg sheasby
ON THE CHARGE: Windermere’s John Sheasby powers through a maul with support from Patrick Wilson

Needing a bonus-point triumph to all but assure themselves of a spot in the top half of the division when it splits next month, the Amber and Golds romped to victory at Dawes Meadow.

Windermere got off to a good start with a pre-planned move that could not have gone better, resulting in a try by full-back James Crawford within three minutes of kick-off.

But they showed that there were cobwebs to be blown away two minutes later, conceding a kickable penalty and allowing Lonsdale to come back within two points.

It was one-way traffic from then until half-time, with tries from Windermere’s Mike Proctor, John Sheasby, Chris Lightburn, Patrick Wilson, Alex Benjamin and Jack Walker and three conversions from Crawford.

But a few seconds before the break, Lonsdale advanced into the Windermere half and won a penalty on the 22. A Windermere player did not retreat and the referee gave Kirkby another 10 metres.

They opted to tap and go, and their courage was rewarded with a morale-boosting try under the posts, which was converted to bring the half-time score to 43-10.

After 12 minutes of vigorous defence and a couple of chip and chase attacks, Kirkby Lonsdale conceded the first score of the second half as Sheasby broke from a maul and burst through a couple of tackles to touch down.

Tries followed for Windermere from Lightburn and another from Sheasby, before Kirkby Lonsdale applied themselves to their defence and held Windermere at bay for a quarter of an hour.

But on the half-hour mark in the second period, Sheasby broke through twice in a couple of minutes and Walker ran in from halfway a few minutes later to bring the score to 79-10.

The final score did not do credit to the courage and tenacity of a Kirkby side decimated by demands from their first team.

For Windermere, the match was an opportunity to try some new variations on the pitch and the result means a return to second place in the league.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out