Walker brace sends Ram’s Head into final
Published at 13:29, Tuesday, 31 January 2012
SUNDAY LEAGUE FOOTBALL
RAM’S Head booked their place in the First Choice Roofers Complimentary Cup final with a comprehensive 4-1 semi-final victory over Wheatsheaf on Biggar Bank.
They will now face British Legion in the final, after they defeated Yates’s Utd in the other semi-final last week.
Ram’s Head had to fight hard for victory, with Darryl Fletcher giving Wheatsheaf the lead against the run of play on 15 minutes, thanks to some superb build-up play from Conner Bone.
The Head did not sit back and made their possession count five minutes before the break when Ross Walker equalised for the visitors. Walker then grabbed his second to give Ram’s Head the lead early in the second half.
Martin Cheung came off the bench for Ram’s Head and had an immediate impact as he scored with more or less his first touch and Martin Clarke finished off any hopes of a Wheatsheaf comeback as he slotted home superbly.
Mark Cardin was named man-of-the-match after a superb performance in the centre of midfield.
Also on Biggar Bank, Castle House welcomed British Legion in one of only two Hodgson’s Drinks North Western Senior Football League fixtures, with Legion winning by an 8-0 margin.
It took 10 minutes for the game’s first goal as Legion’s Michael Crampton floated a superb cross over for man-of-the-match Ryan Mackay to smash home.
League top scorer Carl Pearson then made it 2-0, before Darren Gower slotted home after an excellent solo run and Crampton made it 4-0 at half-time. Legion wasted no time in adding to their tally after the break as Brad Palfreyman latched on to a Ryan Mackay through ball to net number five.
Crampton then grabbed his second with a cheeky backheel flick, before substitute Mark Harvey and Mackay completed the scoring.
Up on the Ormsgill pitches, it was the third meeting of the season between the two Yates’s teams, as FC were away to United – with FC winning 5-1.
United opened the scoring from the penalty spot after five minutes with Connor Freel calmly converting.
It did not take long for FC to respond though as Mark Treen equalised with a stunning strike from outside the box.
Yates’s FC got the upper hand after the break, with Andy Watts prodding home to give them the lead.
With 20 minutes to go Danny Logan made it 3-1 with a bullet header into the top corner.
Kyle Jefferson then took down an Adam Armstrong cross to take it round the United keeper for a simple tap-in, and he grabbed his second with a fine solo effort to blast home from 25 yards.
Shane Postlethwaite was Yates’s FC man-of-the-match.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|