Ulverston march to triumph over Barrow Wanderers
Last updated at 13:51, Friday, 11 May 2012
ULVERSTON proved just too strong for Barrow Wanderers as they claimed the under-14s crown.
Both teams started nervously, but Wanderers created chances through Cameron Clarke and Jack Kavanagh charging down defensive clearances, while a Conor Gooding through ball to Brad Jones sent him away, before the Ulverston defence snuffed out the danger.
Rangers started to press and forced a fine save from Wanderers keeper Dimitri Canham, while Jordan Ashton and Tyler Dewar battled hard in the middle for the Barrow side.
George Akred marshalled the Wanderers defence, ably supported by Robbie Simpson, Euan James and Olly Gaitskell, but Ulverston broke the deadlock with a 20-yard strike from Cameron Trew.
This inspired Barrow Wanderers to come back at Ulverston, with several attempts on goal that came to nothing as the half ended 1-0 to Rangers.
The second half started as the first, with some strong tackling from the Wanderers team but with no return up front.
In the 47th minute a through ball by Josh Cronin found Huw Barton, who hammered the ball into the bottom corner of the goal to put Ulverston 2-0 up and in control.
Jed Wilkinson just entered the fray for Wanderers and a great through ball from Jones gave him a shooting opportunity, but the Rangers keeper saved well.
A lot of pressure from Ulverston found them ending the game with another two goals, one from a lovely ball from Ollie Hambley to set up Tom Pearson and the second an Owen Dryden strike from outside the box.
On the day, Ulverston’s passing made the difference as Wanderers’ hard tackling and endeavour could not get their front men going and the warm weather took its toll on their efforts.
First published at 13:41, Friday, 11 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears
- Trust promise: no jobs losses in restructure at Barrow hospital
- New life on hold after Barrow man jailed for cannabis offences
- Cumbria police overtime costs rise by a third to £1.37m in one year
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|