Teenage Furness trio shining in table tennis league
Last updated at 16:29, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
THE juniors from Barrow Table Tennis Club have been making waves in this season’s Barrow and District Table Tennis League.
The teenage trio of Emily Bolton, 14, Chris Lloyd, 15, and Anton Vacca, also 15, have been matching their more experienced opponents blow of blow in Division One.
Playing seven matches, they have won five, drawn one and lost only one to put them in a strong position as the competition approaches Christmas.
Bolton – who recently picked up the cadet doubles title at the English Table Tennis Association Championships alongside Tin-Tin Ho and finished as runner-up to her playing partner in the singles event – has won 19 of her 21 singles matches in a dominant Barrow League campaign.
Vacca and Lloyd have each won nine of their 21 games, the experience of playing against older, more wily opposition, benefiting their games immensely.
So far, the Barrow side have beaten St Columba’s B 6-4, St Columba’s A 7-3, Hawcoat Park B 6-4, Ponderosa 8-2 and St Columba’s 9-1.
They drew 5-5 with Furness CC and their only defeat, 7-3, came at the hands of Millom Former Pupils.
Bolton will take part in the 2013 Junior Masters event at Burton Uxbridge between January 19 and 20, when the best young table tennis players in the country are in action.
First published at 16:17, Wednesday, 12 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Ice bucket challenge videos
Visit our websites for...
- UPDATE: Judge overrules Ulverston supermarket decision
- Barrow AFC boss favourite for Mansfield job (6 comments)
- Millom man arrested on suspicion of murdering girlfriend in Kenya
- Ulverston supermarket: Decision could be made this week (3 comments)
- Reforms could cause hardship over Christmas in Cumbria
- Barrow dad-of-two baited dogs to attack cat and sheep (33 comments)
- Barrow woman in tears as court orders dog to be destroyed (28 comments)
- Homebase in talks with discount chain for Barrow (30 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss steps down (6 comments)
Post 16 education
Go green 36
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|