Southward the star for Vickerstown
Last updated at 16:17, Thursday, 28 February 2013
VICKERSTOWN CC showed top form on the oche in a 6-1 demolition of the Kill-One in the Lakeland Leisure-sponsored Friday League.
The result puts them in with a fighting chance of taking the title as they sit in joint-second with St Patrick’s, three points behind leaders Soccer Bar.
Ken Southward was the star of the night with a 140 score and a 160 knock-up – the highest of the season.
He was backed up well by Gareth Willis, Ross Husband (100), Wayne Elliott (100), Jimmy Allen and Ian Scott (118).
Cemetery Cottages won by the odd game against St Patrick’s, who had double trouble again.
Playing well for the Cottages were Dave Macmillan, Steve Hetherington, Tony Macmillan (140) and Dave Leech, while best for the home side were Dave Wilkie (123), Chris Kirkby (100) and joint-aggregate leader Ian Large.
Navy Club had a good 4-3 win at leaders Soccer Bar, with Ian Goodwin (140-100), Dave Armstrong, John Forristal (2x100-93) and Barry Crawford (133) victorious.
In the snooker, leaders Kill-One kept their eye on the league title with a 3-0 win over Vickerstown.
Martin McDonald took the top man’s game against Jimmy Allen, pulling away to win 50-29.
Aggregate leader Mike Smith was in excellent potting form in his win over Wayne Elliott, with captain Alf Carruthers comfortable against Alan Wilkinson and creating a five-point cushion in the table.
Second-placed Cemetery Cottages kept up with the leaders with a 3-0 win over St Patrick’s.
Joe O’Leary had a 31 break, but he lost as John Tyerman had breaks of 16 and 23 to win on the pink.
Dave Simpson won well against Dave Wilkie, 55-17, and Steve Hetherington triumphed in a rowdy game against Brian Williamson.
Navy Club were also in fine potting form, with John Forristal and captain Dave Newby winning quite comfortably against Soccer Bar.
Steve Fretwell edged Harold Pearson in the last game to take maximum points for the visitors.
On the billiards table, Kill-One increased their lead with a 2-1 home win over the Vickerstown.
Gareth Willis beat Derek Hurley in a late comeback for the visitors, but aggregate leader Alan Edmondson and Kevin Quinn took the home team’s points.
The Navy Club trio of Geoff Turner, Jimmy Ross and Ian Goodwin proved formidable against the Soccer Bar – Turner with breaks of 14, 20 and 22 standing out in a whitewash.
St Patrick’s lost to in-form Cemetery Cottages Club despite Billy Wall playing well at top man to beat Alan Eaton.
Billy Burns and captain Colin Taylor were too strong for Paul Kyle and John Clamp respectively.
In the Welch Don, St Patrick’s had the best result of the night as they push for the league title, with a 3-1 win at the Cottages.
The regular pairings of Ian Large and Dave Rafferty, Ken Johnson and Pat Fogharty, and Chris Kirkby and Billy Wall all played well.
Kill-One and Vickerstown shared the spoils. Tony Woodward and Sandy Hill and Allan Edmondson and Tony Norman took the first two games and Paul Fitzpatrick and Alan Wilkinson and Ian Scott and Jimmy Allen the next two to level the scores.
Soccer Bar and Navy Club also took two points each, with the parings of Ian Walsh and Ted Hodgson, Barry Butterworth and Harold Pearson, Bryan Jones and Billy Lowden and Steve Fretwell and Keith Benson each winning.
Tomorrow’s fixtures: Roose v St Pat’s, Vickerstown CC v Soccer Bar, Navy v Kill-One. Cemetery Cottages – bye.
J Wilson 44 G Turner 100, R Baines 63 J Ross 100, D Plant 86 I Goodwin 100. Totals: 0 and 3.
J Wilson 522 I Goodwin 601, S Culbert 467 D Armstrong 601, M Edwards 601 P Hunter 561, S Martin 601 J Ross 561, M Fletcher 585 J Forristal 601, B Butterworth 579 B Crawford 601, D Plant 601 B Jones 592. Totals: 3 and 4.
I Walsh/T Hodgson 2 B Newby/S Blackett 0, D Plant/S Culbert 1 B Jones/B Lowden 2, R Davies/D Griffiths 1 S Fretwell/K Benson 2, B Butterworth/H Pearson 2 P Hunter/I Goodwin 0. Totals: 2 and 2.
M McDonald 50 J Allen 29, M Smith 69 W Elliott 27, A Carruthers 62 A Wilkinson 23. Totals: 3 and 0.
D Hurley 95 G Willis 100, A Edmondson 100 D Holmes 60, K Quinn 100 P Scott 74. Totals: 2 and 1.
A Edmondson 587 G Willis 601, A J Norman 353 K Southward 601, T Woodward 391 R Husband 601, M Smith 406 W Elliott 601, P Connolly 601 P Scott 438, D Gallagher 593 J Allen 601, J McIlroy 461 I Scott 601. Totals: 1 and 6.
A Carruthers/K Quinn 0 P Fitzpatrick/A Wilkinson 2, T Woodward/S Hill 2 P Fitzpatrick/W Elliott 0, G Hutton/P Phillips 0 I Scott/J Allen 2, A J Norman/A Edmondson 2 G Willis/D Holmes 0. Totals: 2 and 2.
J O’Leary 37 J Tyerman 54, D Wilkie 17 D Simpson 55, B Williamson 30 S Hetherington 48. Totals: 0 and 3.
W Wall 100 A Eaton 66, P P Kyle 69 B Burns 100, J Clamp 66 C Taylor 100. Totals: 1 and 2.
J Clamp 466 D Macmillan 601, D Wilkie 601 B Bowes 583, J O’Leary 569 S Hetherington 601, D Rafferty 412 T Macmillan 601, C Kirkby 601 A Fraser 545, A Charnley 518 D Leech 601, I Large 601 A Cook 581. Totals: 3 and 4.
I Large/D Rafferty 2 P Fieldhouse/T Macmillan 1, K Johnson/P Fogharty 2 S Hetherington/D Macmillan 1, R Procter/P G Kyle 1 A Reid/B Bowes 2, W Wall/C Kirkby 2 D Leech/A Halse 0. Totals: 3 and 1.
Result: W Wall 100 J Ross 96, from week 15.
First published at 16:13, Thursday, 28 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together
Visit our websites for...
- Barrow AFC full-back's promotion dream (1 comment)
- Barrow AFC full-back's promotion dream (1 comment)
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|