Super League Wildcats hunt Barrow RL ace Brad
Last updated at 11:43, Sunday, 30 December 2012
RISING star prop Brad Singleton has been offered the chance to make an impact in Super League by Wakefield.
The 20-year-old Barrow Island youth product impressed against the Wildcats as his Leeds Rhinos side beat them 40-26 in the Boxing Day friendly at Headingley.
Singleton scored two tries and Wildcats boss Richard Agar has since approached the Rhinos about signing him on a season-long loan deal.
“We have made an approach to take Brad on a season-long loan and we’d like to sign him before we go to our pre-season camp in Portugal,” Agar told the Yorkshire Evening Post. “It’s now up to Leeds and the player.”
Singleton, a 6ft 3ins, 209lbs front-row forward, made his Leeds debut from the bench in a 46-12 victory over Salford City Reds in the 2011 Super League campaign and featured once more this year.
In the main, the former England Academy captain’s appearances have been among the youth ranks for the Leeds side, while he spent time in 2012 on dual-registration at Championship side Dewsbury Rams.
Leeds boss Brian McDermott feels time with another Super League, where he can enjoy more regular first-team action, can benefit a player they see as a star for the future and said: “He has a future with us, that’s why we’re looking towards this. He needs to be playing week-in, week-out.
“With the pack we’ve got, the form they are in and what we’ve done in recent years, it is harder and harder for our young players to break into the team.
“What they do need is Super League experience, so when some of the old stagers do move on they are not raw and green. The way of doing that is by sending them out on loan. He was at Dewsbury last season and he benefited from that massively, but he needs to step up next year and do Super League. We are working through that with Wakefield at the moment.”
First published at 16:34, Friday, 28 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Rugby League
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|