RL vets get funding boost for Dubai trip
Last updated at 16:59, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A TRIO of rugby league stalwarts are preparing to play in Dubai later this month.
Barrow Island amateurs Craig McKinnon, Dave Wynne and Paul Dean will feature for the British Amateur Rugby League Association (BARLA) over-35s team in a nine-a-side tournament.
The three players have recently received grants of £350 from Barrow Sports Council to help fund their trip.
Barrow Sports Council Chair Tony Callister said: “In any sport and at any age, it’s a great honour to represent your country.
“At amateur level it can be very costly for the individuals. I’m pleased that Barrow Sports Council is still able to award grants to individuals to help them.”
Individuals competing at national level in any sport and seeking further information about Barrow Sports Council funding should contact secretary Emma Broadbent on 01229 407319.
First published at 16:26, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Rugby League
- Barrow footballer who suffered stroke tells of goal to get back on pitch
- Ulverston homes plan ‘on hold’ amid A590 safety fears
- Trust promise: no jobs losses in restructure at Barrow hospital
- New life on hold after Barrow man jailed for cannabis offences
- Cumbria police overtime costs rise by a third to £1.37m in one year
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston man found dead in layby (1 comment)
- UPDATE: South Cumbria woman killed in crash (16 comments)
- Barrow store to sell off stock in closing down sale (9 comments)
- Pub chain’s £3.5m hotel bid for Barrow granted (11 comments)
- Barrow paedophile trio sentenced
- "Fantastic victory" for Barrow after massive increase in train services announced
- Hunt for Nigel Farage Barrow gnome villain
- BIG DEBATE: Is parking outside schools in Barrow and Furness a big problem? (3 comments)
- Bradley Wiggins set to bring team to Barrow (3 comments)
- New moto-cross team for Furness (1 comment)
- Wig wearing Barrow MP in fresh challenge to comedian Russell Brand (69 comments)
- Fan’s campaign to honour Barrow footballing hero with statue (27 comments)
- Dalton secondary school relaxes coat rules as temperatures plunge (24 comments)
- Barrow set for pound shop wars as chain plans store (26 comments)
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
Homes and Gardens
Post 16 education
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|