Millom and Barrow Island duos get GB Lions call
Last updated at 14:22, Friday, 22 June 2012
MILLOM hooker Marcus O’Brien will lead the English Lions Under-18s into unfamiliar territory on a tour of Lebanon this summer.
The teenager – who last year was part of the Community Lions squad to tour South Africa – is one of four South Cumbrians from the amateur game who will play two matches in the Middle East.
Fellow Woollyback Ethan Kelly and Barrow Island duo Ben Garner and Perry Singleton will also make the trip, which starts on July 24.
Singleton – who toured the Netherlands with the national team last year and played in matches against Australia, Wales and France on home shores in the winter, is looking forward to the trip after initial nerves regarding the venue.
“When I first found out where we were going, it was a real question about what it is going to be like,” said the 18-year-old.
“But they have told us all about it and it is a nice place and I am quite excited to go and see the rugby out there and what level they are at.
“I’m not one to cope with the heat, but I’m excited about it. They are going to be quite physical and it’s going to be tough for us.”
The squad will be based in Lebanese capital Beirut and will play Liban Espoir – an under-20s side – on Saturday, July 28 and Wednesday, August 1 before returning home on Thursday, August 2.
Two training sessions will be held in the slightly cooler climate of Milford before the start of the tour.
English Lions Under-18s head coach Kelvin Lockett said: “Things are looking good for the tour, there’s lots of great development work going on in Lebanon and this is a chance for their under-20s to test their arm against English opposition.
“The whole squad have been briefed on the tour and they are very aware and well prepared. Beirut is a very multi-cultural city and it should be a fantastic tour.”
Liban Espoir head coach Robin Hachache said: “I am very happy to be coaching such a young and talented side. The boys are very enthusiastic and looking forward to testing themselves against the English Lions Under-18s.”
ENGLISH LIONS U18S SQUAD
Sam Forester (Maryport), Leon Tatlock (Thatto Heath), Ben Garner (Barrow Island), Scott Pink (Wath Brow), Tom Whittle (Wigan St Judes), Matty Cooke (Pilkington Recs), Marcus O’Brien (captain, Millom), Chris Tomlinson (Glasson Rangers), Leon Crellin (Egremont Rangers), Perry Singleton (Barrow Island), Daniel Rowell (Kells), Karl Dixon (Wath Brow), Ian Curnow (Wath Brow), Ethan Kelly (Millom), Jamie Tracie (Thatto Heath), Adam Jefferson (Bradford Dudley Hill), Jack Jones (Thatto Heath), Jack Green (Latchford Albion), Tyler Craig (Heworth), Lewis Sheridan (Wigan St Cuthberts).
First published at 13:06, Friday, 22 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Rugby League
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|