Cumbria RL teens savour county championship triumph
Last updated at 15:58, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
CUMBRIA lifted the Under-19s County Championship title with a hard-earned victory over Lancashire at Aspatria.
They went in front after two minutes when Bradley Smith put in a kick to the corner and wingman Ryan Barnes gathered and scored. Jack Clarke slotted over the conversion, 6-0.
Lancashire clawed their way back and then ahead, scoring two quick tries and goaling one to make it 10-6.
The Cumbria forwards started to take control of the ball and prop Ian Curnow found a gap to go over and score.
Clarke added the conversion to put his side 12-10 up. As half-time approached, the hosts increased their lead when stand-off Carl Dixon took the ball 20 yards out and outstripped the Lancashire defence, 16-10.
The second half started with the Cumbria pack again making inroads, and it came as no surprise when Matty Holmes crashed over for two tries, both with players hanging on. Lewis Beckwith converted both to make it 28-10.
As the hosts dropped off the pace, Lancashire hit back and scored two tries, both converted, and cut the gap to 28-22.
This was the wake-up call for Cumbria and they attacked the Lancashire line again, moving the ball out wide for Barnes to go over for his second try. Beckwith converted to give Cumbria the championship.
Barrow Island’s Perry Singleton took the man-of-the-match award.
The victory formed part of a double BARLA Tri-Series success for the county, with the open age team triumphing 38-12 in their decider against Lancashire.
First published at 15:56, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Rugby League
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|