Cumbria RL teens savour county championship triumph
Last updated at 15:58, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
CUMBRIA lifted the Under-19s County Championship title with a hard-earned victory over Lancashire at Aspatria.
They went in front after two minutes when Bradley Smith put in a kick to the corner and wingman Ryan Barnes gathered and scored. Jack Clarke slotted over the conversion, 6-0.
Lancashire clawed their way back and then ahead, scoring two quick tries and goaling one to make it 10-6.
The Cumbria forwards started to take control of the ball and prop Ian Curnow found a gap to go over and score.
Clarke added the conversion to put his side 12-10 up. As half-time approached, the hosts increased their lead when stand-off Carl Dixon took the ball 20 yards out and outstripped the Lancashire defence, 16-10.
The second half started with the Cumbria pack again making inroads, and it came as no surprise when Matty Holmes crashed over for two tries, both with players hanging on. Lewis Beckwith converted both to make it 28-10.
As the hosts dropped off the pace, Lancashire hit back and scored two tries, both converted, and cut the gap to 28-22.
This was the wake-up call for Cumbria and they attacked the Lancashire line again, moving the ball out wide for Barnes to go over for his second try. Beckwith converted to give Cumbria the championship.
Barrow Island’s Perry Singleton took the man-of-the-match award.
The victory formed part of a double BARLA Tri-Series success for the county, with the open age team triumphing 38-12 in their decider against Lancashire.
First published at 15:56, Wednesday, 20 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
More Rugby League
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college (1 comment)
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third (4 comments)
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together