PHIL YOUR BOOTS: From Benidorm to France for Barrow Raiders' Acky
Last updated at 12:59, Sunday, 25 March 2012
I MISSED the win over Doncaster because I was abroad on work business – actually it was a pre-booked weekend in Benidorm with mates from Tronic but that doesn’t sound half as impressive – and was on the flight home when the match was being played.
Like everybody else I was expecting a close game against a big Doncaster team, so news of the result was well worth waiting for.
My thanks go to Dean Marwood for stepping in at short notice for a couple of training sessions and for helping out on match day. We really appreciated it.
Without seeing any serious footage of the game I can only judge the performance on the opinions of the coaches and players. Being critical, we still need to tidy up on techniques and the basic skills that we keep working on.
Jack Pedley reckons that we will trounce somebody once things click, and I hope he is right. Anyone who knows Jack will know he is super-confident but I won’t fall into the trap of making bold predictions because that can come back and bite you in the backside.
But if we can consistently put together the performances we believe our players are capable of, we can look forward to some good games this summer.
Back to Benidorm... while there we bumped into a gang from Hawcoat Park RU who had three lads celebrating their 21st birthdays.
We were quite lucky to see them really as they spent most of their days visiting the local museums, art galleries and taking in the local historical landmarks.
The bit of free time they did have, we saw them playing touch rugby on the beach. Let’s just say their drinking ability is far superior to the ball skills they displayed!
I wouldn’t fancy being an outside back for the Maroon and Whites, as running off Niagara Falls is safer than running off a James Howden pass!
Having read the Evening Mail’s analysis of the Doncaster game, I was looking forward to seeing the try the boss (Darren Holt) scored. When Paul Turner reported that Holty finished a move off from 20 metres I couldn’t believe my eyes. When I saw the footage it showed a nice little sniping run from about eight metres, finished with a flying somersault.
I’ve had people telling me he shouldn’t showboat like that as he could have easily dropped the ball. My main concern at the time wouldn’t have been losing the ball but him getting injured.
Holty has a history of chocolate shoulders he should be more careful! But as he doesn’t get over for many, I’ll let him off this time.
Tomorrow we play French champions Lezignan in the Challenge Cup, which should be an attractive fixture for RL followers in this area. This, no doubt, will be our toughest test to date. If they play like traditional French teams we will need to match their aggression and intensity.
Hope to see you tomorrow – a vociferous crowd can be our 18th man.
First published at 10:37, Saturday, 24 March 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Acky did you use a time travel machine to fly to Bonkadorm as we play Donny this coming weekend hahahaha, plonker rodney.
Make your comment
- Furness General midwife admits blunders which led to deaths of two babies
- Cumbria service that helps patients returning home gets extra funding
- Relief as second Cumbria climber accounted for after Nepal quake
- Cumbria mountaineer describes horrifying moment Nepal earthquake struck
- Cumbria man airlifted to hospital after ladder fall
- Signalling problems causing delays for Cumbria passengers
- Child's BMX bike stolen in Barrow
- Range Rover damaged in Broughton
- Cumbria runners set for London Marathon
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Hundreds of Barrow AFC fans attend title homecoming celebration
- Barrow AFC crowned Conference North champions: with picture gallery (25 comments)
- Special day for Barrow AFC skipper
- Proud Edmo hails Barrow AFC title success: with picture gallery
- Crarey delight as Barrow Raiders run riot (3 comments)
- Holker cruise into play-offs: with picture gallery
- Furness start title defence in style: with picture gallery
- Glasson take the spoils at Ulverston
- Barrow AFC trophy presentation at Holker Street
- Jubilant Barrow fans speak of joy and relief (2 comments)
- Sea cadets prepare for their Big Clean
- Big Clean at Bardsea Beach
- Nation’s tribute for five flying heroes
- Mystery lady to sell at auction for £10k
- Winning village team could get 1,500 fans
- Selling the secrets of ship technology
- Classic cars set to return
- Why the speed trap claptrap?
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Tracing granddad Bert’s footsteps in ill-fated campaign
- FOOD REVIEW: The Plough, Lupton