Dixon follows Botes out of Craven Park
Last updated at 17:27, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
RAIDERS boss Darren Holt has left the door open for departed pair Marc Dixon and Mike Botes to make a return to Craven Park some time in the future.
Winger Dixon left the club by mutual consent before the weekend, as work commitments are not allowing him to commit fully to the professional game.
The powerful Ulverston back’s exit comes hard on the heels of South African forward Botes also leaving Craven Park.
Former Furness RUFC ace Botes told Holt he could not meet the commitment needed, and last week he played a try-scoring role in Barrow Island’s North West Men’s League opening day victory against Clock Face.
Holt – whose squad play at South Wales Scorpions on Sunday having just enjoyed a blank weekend – thanked both players for their efforts and said there is no reason why they couldn’t return to the pro ranks.
“The opportunities for Dixon have been limited since the beginning of the league campaign having impressed in the pre-season and Northern Rail Cup games,” said Holt.
“All at the club wish him well and the door is always open, should his circumstances change.”
Botes featured at Craven Park in pre-season, but did not play in either the Northern Rail Cup, or Championship One.
“I had a sit down with Mike and had a chat with him,” said Holt of the convert from rugby union.
“He insinuated that the professional game and the time involved – he has just had a baby and his shift pattern changed at work – meant he was struggling to commit to all the training sessions.
“He came to me and had a word with me and I fully understood what he was talking about.
“The door is always open for him if circumstances change, but for the time being he is not training.
“We haven’t released him as a player and if things change in time and he wants to find his way back down, then he is more than welcome.”
First published at 13:20, Tuesday, 01 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|