Thornton rolls to victory in Furness Junior Grand Masters
Last updated at 16:39, Wednesday, 17 October 2012
KING Alfred youngster Billy Thornton continued his great form in 2012 with victory in the ninth annual Junior Grand Masters Trophy.
Thornton beat Daniel Edmonds 21-15 in the final of the South Lakeland Independent Financial Consultants and Sharples Estate Agents-sponsored competition at Askam.
In the top half of a strong looking group – with competitors aged 18 and under from across the area taking part – Edmonds bowled superbly all day. He beat Tom Harris, 21-18, home bowler Jack Knowles, 21-4, and Jack Taylor, 21-10, to reach the semi-finals.
Thornton had opening round wins against Nathan Borowski, 21-10, and the youngest competitor, six-year-old Niamh Sharples, 21-15.
Edmonds beat last year’s champion Adam Miller 21-9 and reached the final. Thornton’s semi-final clash was against Askam bowler Keir Shepherd, a novice on the greens.
Thornton’s corner bowling proved too much for Shepherd, who went down 21-13, but the 12-year-old still collected a trophy and money for his endeavours.
John Sharples, of the sponsors, presented trophies and prize money totalling £120 to the last four players.
Sharples thanked the Askam club for the use of the green and Steve Thompson and Ken Howarth for running the competition.
Round One: Thomas Lawrence 14 Jordan McNamee 21, Jack Taylor 21 Ryan Smith 13, Callum Sharples 18 Jack Knowles 21, Daniel Edmonds 21 Tom Harris 18.
Round Two: McNamee 13 Taylor 21, Knowles 4 Edmonds 21, Will Maguire 11 Ben Pullin 21, Connor Emanuel 9 Adam Miller 21, Keir Shepherd 21 Lian Knowles 17, Bailey Cole 15 Charlie O’Hare 21, Connor Kell 16 Niamh Sharples 21, Billy Thornton 21 Nathan Borowski 10.
Quarter-finals: Taylor 10 Edmonds 21, Pullin 10 Miller 21, Shepherd 21 O’Hare 20, Sharples 15 Thornton 21.
Semi-finals: Edmonds 21 Miller 9, Shepherd 13 Thornton 21.
Final: Edmonds 15 Thornton 21.
First published at 16:37, Wednesday, 17 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|