Millom RL on the Chellenge Cup march
Last updated at 15:58, Thursday, 15 November 2012
HAT-TRICK heroes Ross Brookes and Anthony Green led Millom into the first round proper of the Challenge Cup with an eight-try 40-12 demolition of the Manchester side Eccles.
The Woollybacks dominated this second qualifying round tie from start to finish at Millom RU’s Wilson Park ground against their National Conference Division One counterparts, and can now look forward to another home tie against Blackbrook, the date of which is yet to be decided.
It was the home side who took control from the outset, with Ricky Donaghue crossing the line after 11 minutes for Brookes to convert. Good play upfield by Tom Sibley and Paul Carter set Brookes up to score and goal, and the home side were already in control at 12-0 up.
Millom were dominating, with strong running veteran Wayne Ruddy and Marcus O’Brien pushing down the field, and the final try of the half came from Green to give them a commanding 16-0 lead.
Eccles came out for the second half a lot better prepared for battle, and they were the first to score and convert to drag them back to within 10 points of the hosts. However, Millom were quick to reply – with Green racing 40 yards for his second touchdown of the afternoon.
Eccles hit back again on 58 minutes, reducing the deficit to 20-12 and they were still in the game.
This seemed to spur Millom on, with Josh Banham scoring next, and with Brookes and Green both completing their hat-tricks, that took the final score to 40-12. Brookes bagged an excellent 20-point haul for the game, but Millom’s man of the match was outstanding skipper Tom Sibley.
First published at 16:10, Tuesday, 13 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Askam dad 37 killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|