Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 04 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

McKay at the double for Legion

BRITISH Legion enjoyed a 4-1 victory over Vickerstown in the North Western Senior League’s stand-out game this weekend.


It was a clash of the titans on Biggar Bank, where a strong Vickerstown side took on the defending Sunday League champions – and it turned out to be a great game.

Carl McKay opened the scoring for Legion around the 20-minute mark, before man-of-the-match Mike Krampton doubled their advantage early in the second half with a superb 20-yard lob as Vickerstown pushed men forward in search of an equaliser.

Vickerstown pulled one back with a fine finish from striker Danny Keenan on 64 minutes and they would have drawn level but for some fine goalkeeping by Sam Stephens.

Carl Pearson, who plays his Saturday football for Vickerstown in the West Lancashire League, then made it 3-1 with a neat chip from 18 yards, and McKay grabbed his second on 85 minutes to complete the scoring.

Also on the fantastic Biggar Bank pitches, a derby match took place between the two Yates’s teams – Yates’s FC against Yates’s United – in a First Choice Roofers Supplementary Cup encounter.

Earlier in the season a game between these two sides proved to be a goal-fest – and this time was not any different, with Yates’s FC running away 7-1 winners.

Man-of-the-match Ben Round was behind most of the goals as Kyle Jefferson scored a hat-trick.

Other goals for Yates’s FC came from Charlie Shaw, Nathan Jones, Chris Cloudsdale and Andy Watts.

United’s consolation came from striker Adam Morris.

The league would like to thank Daniel Logan for standing in and refereeing this match

Up on Ormsgill’s sun-lit surfaces, the only game to take place saw Wheatsheaf take on Barrow Wanderers, as the game between Ram’s Head and FMC United was called off due to FMC being unable to field a side.

The goalless first half was soured by a serious leg injury to Wheatsheaf defender Lee Gill, which dampened the spirits of his fellow team-mates, as well as the opposition players.

The second half saw Wanderers take control as Wheatsheaf also lost striker Paul Fleming to injury.

Man-of-the-match Andrew Forristal scored a superb double, with Andrew Hainey also netting in a 3-0 victory.

All participating football clubs, committee members and match officials wish Gill a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back in action hopefully in the not-too-distant future.

lThe league are still looking for players to help out FMC United, as well as referees to help out with fixtures.

As a referee you will be paid for your services.

Anyone interested should contact league secretary Neil Martin on 07743 428859.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Are you enjoying the hot weather?



Show Result


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out