Local lads help Cougars sink Navy
Last updated at 14:36, Friday, 27 April 2012
SOUTH Cumbria trio Chris Warren, Jack Sutherland and Danny Morrow were all among the try-scorers in BARLA Great Britain Cougars’ 38-16 victory over the Royal Navy.
The game – part of the build-up to the GB under-23s’ trip to Jamaica in June – was a physical clash of styles that brought the best out of the BARLA side.
It was Millom full-back Warren who gave the visitors a third-minute lead and provided the platform to build an impressive advantage of 16-0, before the Navy responded. Walney’s Morrow got in on the scoring act 12 minutes into the second half when he raced 40 metres down the right-hand side brushing off defenders to score in the corner to make it 20-6.
An exchange of tries kept the Navy within range until late in the game when substitute prop Sutherland (Barrow Island) added his name to the list of try scorers and Dalton’s Dan Sayle, who took over the goal-kicking duties, added the extra points. Man-of-the-match and skipper Davey Jones (Widnes West Bank) rounded off the victory with the final try.
First published at 13:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Trident rally wraps scarf around MoD (7 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|