Local lads help Cougars sink Navy
Last updated at 14:36, Friday, 27 April 2012
SOUTH Cumbria trio Chris Warren, Jack Sutherland and Danny Morrow were all among the try-scorers in BARLA Great Britain Cougars’ 38-16 victory over the Royal Navy.
The game – part of the build-up to the GB under-23s’ trip to Jamaica in June – was a physical clash of styles that brought the best out of the BARLA side.
It was Millom full-back Warren who gave the visitors a third-minute lead and provided the platform to build an impressive advantage of 16-0, before the Navy responded. Walney’s Morrow got in on the scoring act 12 minutes into the second half when he raced 40 metres down the right-hand side brushing off defenders to score in the corner to make it 20-6.
An exchange of tries kept the Navy within range until late in the game when substitute prop Sutherland (Barrow Island) added his name to the list of try scorers and Dalton’s Dan Sayle, who took over the goal-kicking duties, added the extra points. Man-of-the-match and skipper Davey Jones (Widnes West Bank) rounded off the victory with the final try.
First published at 13:25, Friday, 27 April 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- New headteacher appointed at Millom School
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- The Pearl Izumi Tour Series BAE Systems Barrow Stage 2014 (3 comments)
- Thefts at South Cumbria churches
- Six jobs go as Barrow loan shop closes
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court tomorrow for sentencing
- Police appeal after damage to Barrow house
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
- Four Duddon canoests in frame for world champs
- Students show skills at Furness festival: with picture gallery
- Schools cross country at Walney draws nearly 200: with picture gallery
- St Bernard's taste county finals success: with picture gallery
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|