Jake on fast track to great karting career
Last updated at 16:40, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
KARTING youngster Jake Calvert experienced the glory of the home of British motor racing at an awards ceremony at Silverstone.
The Barrow ace was presented with the fourth-placed award from the Northern Karting Federation after an impressive first year of competition.
And the Newbarns Primary School flier has gained further reward for his exploits by picking up the Barrow Borough Sports Council performance of the month for November.
As further testament to his skills, he has also been invited to compete in the prestigious Super 1 British Championships in the new year.
The 10-year-old’s latest success saw him win the MBKC Championship, following a year which saw him compete against drivers from across the North of England, in races held at venues from Scotland to Wales, Cumbria to Lincolnshire. Racing against drivers up to three years his senior, he endured mixed fortunes, but did not let his head drop as he ended the year fourth in the overall standings for the Honda Cadets.
He was presented with his award at Silverstone – the first of three he collected this year.
Jake also finished second in the Rowrah club round at the West Cumbria course, winning six of the eight races he competed in.
And, in January, he will collect the winner’s prize for the Manchester and Buxton Championship ahead of the start of his 2013 campaign in the televised British Championship, which will involve eight rounds of racing.
Jake and his family would like to say a big thank you to the Evening Mail, Barrow Borough Sports Council, Andy Rigg Carpets, Ulverston, and Dave Kendall, of Kendall Brothers Roofing, for all their support.
Jake was the outstanding candidate for the November sports award, but a special mention must also be made to the Duddon Wildwater Racing Team following their victory in the National Youth Wildwater Racing Championships.
A member of the team, Rhiann Taylor, picked up the monthly prize in September, after her winning her age group category at the Wavehopper finals in Northampton.
First published at 16:38, Wednesday, 19 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow AFC boost title bid with comfortable win (6 comments)
- Two climbers suffer serious falls in Lake District (2 comments)
- Woman stole handbag while owner danced in Barrow pub (4 comments)
- Care firm boss sets out stall for new Cumbria recruits (1 comment)
- Letting the train add to the strain (1 comment)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|