High-flying Barrow Thorns beat the Devils
Last updated at 16:23, Thursday, 07 February 2013
BARROW Thorns’ in-form under-14s team continued their impressive run with a tough victory in Bury.
The visitors made a sloppy start, gifting the Blue Devils numerous turnovers and rushing their shots, so they were tied at 10-10 five minutes in.
Eventually, the Thorns settled and started working as a team, with Ruth McEwen scoring some key baskets to build up a 24-14 lead at the end of the quarter.
The second period saw Milly Knowles and Emily Cox find their feet for Barrow, adding points to the lead as they started to look comfortable.
Bury found it hard to cope with Thorns’ defence, as Georgia Cooper pressured the guard. This forced the hosts to turn the ball over as she added points of her own at the other end, building a 50-26 half-time advantage.
Even though Barrow had edged themselves into a comfortable lead, Bury did not let their guard down as they came out fighting to match them basket for basket. Knowles showed excellent work to score 10 much-needed points as Thorns ended the third quarter leading 70-43.
The final period saw Bury come out on fire, pressuring the Barrow players into a series of errors.
Thorns started to panic as their lead was eaten away. The gap was cut down to 80-73 before Barrow found a final push – Cooper continuing to pressure the guard and McEwen finishing at the other end – to seal victory.
Points: E Cox 30, M Knowles 27, R McEwen 13, E Duerden 11, G Cooper 8, C Bilton 4.
Player-of-the-Match: Ruth McEwen.
Special Mention: Georgia Cooper.
First published at 16:21, Thursday, 07 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|