High-flying Barrow Thorns beat the Devils
Last updated at 16:23, Thursday, 07 February 2013
BARROW Thorns’ in-form under-14s team continued their impressive run with a tough victory in Bury.
The visitors made a sloppy start, gifting the Blue Devils numerous turnovers and rushing their shots, so they were tied at 10-10 five minutes in.
Eventually, the Thorns settled and started working as a team, with Ruth McEwen scoring some key baskets to build up a 24-14 lead at the end of the quarter.
The second period saw Milly Knowles and Emily Cox find their feet for Barrow, adding points to the lead as they started to look comfortable.
Bury found it hard to cope with Thorns’ defence, as Georgia Cooper pressured the guard. This forced the hosts to turn the ball over as she added points of her own at the other end, building a 50-26 half-time advantage.
Even though Barrow had edged themselves into a comfortable lead, Bury did not let their guard down as they came out fighting to match them basket for basket. Knowles showed excellent work to score 10 much-needed points as Thorns ended the third quarter leading 70-43.
The final period saw Bury come out on fire, pressuring the Barrow players into a series of errors.
Thorns started to panic as their lead was eaten away. The gap was cut down to 80-73 before Barrow found a final push – Cooper continuing to pressure the guard and McEwen finishing at the other end – to seal victory.
Points: E Cox 30, M Knowles 27, R McEwen 13, E Duerden 11, G Cooper 8, C Bilton 4.
Player-of-the-Match: Ruth McEwen.
Special Mention: Georgia Cooper.
First published at 16:21, Thursday, 07 February 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targeted by vandals
- New footbridge in Cumbria is set to open
- Pedestrians shot at by passing motorist in Ulverston (1 comment)
- PHOTOS & VIDEOS: Charity walk to raise money for Ulverston hospice
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together