Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

High fives as Hawcoat Park move up

THERE were high-fives all round in games involving local sides on Saturday but not all of them were from Furness-based sides.

Callum Rayner was on target for Askam United in their 1-0 win at Whinney Hill

In The Bay West Lancashire League Division One Hawcoat Park put some distance between themselves and the bottom two sides by beating Stoneclough 5-1.

They are now seven points ahead of their visitors thanks to goals from Ryan Mackay, 2, Carl Mackay, Trevor Houston and Ollie Jackson. Manager Mark Knowles was very pleased with the result and praised the side for whom Martin Paterson and Chris Hill were outstanding.

Millom went down 3-1 at home to Burscough Richmond with Matthew Towler on target and it looks like they will need to start picking up points soon if they are to get out of trouble.

Our other Division One sides travelled away and both shipped five goals. An under-strength Dalton United lost 5-0 at second placed Wyre Villa while Furness Rovers went down 5-1 at leaders Norcross And Warbreck. Steve Caskie scored the goal from the penalty spot.

Things weren’t much better in Division Two as GSK Ulverston Rangers went down 5-0 at leaders Hurst Green and Furness Cavaliers lost 3-1 at Todmorden Borough. Their goal was a rare right-footed strike from Lee Simpson.

The one bright spot was Askam United’s 1-0 win at Whinney Hill. The win moved Askam above their hosts in the table and with Whinney Hill’s manager having left to go to Nelson, their title challenge may falter.

Thanks to Callum Rayner’s first half goal Askam are now second in the table. Barrow Wanderers’ game at Bolton County was postponed as was Walney Island’s cup-tie with Croston Sports.

The big game in the Premier Division between Crooklands Casuals and Vickerstown also fell foul of the weather as did Swarthmoor’s North Lancs game at TIC Dynamos reserves.

Yet another side to concede five goals in defeat were Holker Old Boys. After four straight wins and clean sheets, The Stags came down to earth with a bump in the North West Counties League Cup at home to AFC Darwen.

Connor Erdis had levelled the scores before half-time but the visitors regained the lead after the break and scored three more in the last 10 minutes as Holker chased the game, so it finished 5-1.

In the Furness Premier League both Riflemans Garage Premier Division games were postponed and three of the four Terry Clinton Memorial Trophy second round ties didn’t survive Friday night’s rain. The only tie to go ahead saw Barrow Wanderers hit Bootle for five at Lesh Lane.

Andrew Forristal and Ryan Docherty both scored twice with Craig McIlvogue also on target while Andrew Marshall replied for Bootle as another game ended 5-1.

The game between the top two sides in Premier Tiles Division One, GSK Ulverston Rangers reserves and Barrow Island, was postponed but Swarthmoor Social reserves couldn’t capitalise as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Holker Old Boys A.

Ben Mooney and Arron Aston scored for Swarthmoor, while Holker replied through Josh Rafferty and Matt Hackett.

Vickerstown A won 3-1 against Askam United reserves at Duddon Road. Martin Clarke, 2, and Charlie Shaw were the scorers with Sam Dowsett scoring for Askam.

Furness Cavaliers reserves had the better of their game with Walney Island reserves but were unable to find a goal as the game ended goalless. The bottom two sides met at Millom, with Millom A beating Dalton United A 3-1 thanks to goals from Steven Rowe, Nathan Chapples and Tom King.

The top two in Division Two both won. Britannia reserves beat Barrow Wanderers A 3-0 at Biggar Bank in a feisty encounter that saw five players booked and one sent off.

Player-manager Lee Pharaoh put his side 1-0 up just before half-time from a Kane Carey corner. On 78 minutes Carey set up sub Tyler Silver to make it 2-0 and just two minutes later Silver scored again with a sweet right footed strike.

Haverigg United reserves won their derby with Bootle reserves 2-0 with goals from Lee Postlethwaite and Mitchell Stocks, to stay three points behind the Brit with a game in hand.

Two goals from Scott Steeley couldn’t prevent Furness Rovers A from going down 5-2 to Walney Island A while Askam United A came from behind to beat Hawcoat Park A 3-2 with goals from Callum Pether, 2, and Davies. Mark Jackson had put Hawcoat ahead and Mike Otto scored a screamer.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Should England’s top flight women footballers be paid as much as the men?



Show Result