Furness RU quartet in Cumbria squad
Last updated at 18:22, Saturday, 10 November 2012
A QUALITY quartet of Furness aces will pull on the county jersey tomorrow to represent Cumbria Under-20s.
Will Mallinson, Rhys Studt, Ethan Guy and Sam Dutton have all been included in the squad to take on Durham at Upper Eden (2pm kick-off).
The foursome are part of a side aiming to win the first of their Under-20s County Championship Shield group matches at the start of the long road to the final.
New Furness joint-coach Gary Pritchard said it was a great achievement for the players to be selected for the side, reflecting a positive development policy at the Strawberry Grounds.
“It’s fantastic and we are chuffed to bits for them,” said Pritchard. “It’s great news for the club going forward as well.
“Hopefully it will lead to full county honours when they get a little bit older.
“Having four involved is probably the most we have ever had in one squad and that’s a good sign for us.”
Dutton will have a key role to play for the county as he shapes play from scrum half, while 18-year-old Mallinson will join Studt at the back of the pack.
Guy, another 18-year-old, will be at the heart of the back line at full-back.
Studt and Mallinson both played for Cumbria Under-18s last year – a season which also saw Furness player/coach Corne Els and fellow South African make their bows for the open-age county side.
Tomorrow’s match against Durham will be followed by a second home group game in December against opponents still to be confirmed and a third match at Leicestershire in February.
Pritchard added: “If they go all the way, this could lead to them being in the county finals at Twickenham.
“The senior county squad got to the semi-finals last year and it would be great if we can get some of these young guys doing so well as well.”
First published at 16:28, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|