Furness RU quartet in Cumbria squad
Last updated at 18:22, Saturday, 10 November 2012
A QUALITY quartet of Furness aces will pull on the county jersey tomorrow to represent Cumbria Under-20s.
Will Mallinson, Rhys Studt, Ethan Guy and Sam Dutton have all been included in the squad to take on Durham at Upper Eden (2pm kick-off).
The foursome are part of a side aiming to win the first of their Under-20s County Championship Shield group matches at the start of the long road to the final.
New Furness joint-coach Gary Pritchard said it was a great achievement for the players to be selected for the side, reflecting a positive development policy at the Strawberry Grounds.
“It’s fantastic and we are chuffed to bits for them,” said Pritchard. “It’s great news for the club going forward as well.
“Hopefully it will lead to full county honours when they get a little bit older.
“Having four involved is probably the most we have ever had in one squad and that’s a good sign for us.”
Dutton will have a key role to play for the county as he shapes play from scrum half, while 18-year-old Mallinson will join Studt at the back of the pack.
Guy, another 18-year-old, will be at the heart of the back line at full-back.
Studt and Mallinson both played for Cumbria Under-18s last year – a season which also saw Furness player/coach Corne Els and fellow South African make their bows for the open-age county side.
Tomorrow’s match against Durham will be followed by a second home group game in December against opponents still to be confirmed and a third match at Leicestershire in February.
Pritchard added: “If they go all the way, this could lead to them being in the county finals at Twickenham.
“The senior county squad got to the semi-finals last year and it would be great if we can get some of these young guys doing so well as well.”
First published at 16:28, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Unexplained death in Windermere investigated by police
- Cumbria weather warnings on 'hottest day of the year'
- Car ends up on its side in Ulverston crash
- A590 path repair project announced
- Generous family brings cheer to Barrow school targetted by vandals
- Organisations will be Hitting the Headlines after training event
- Day of personal triumphs and achievements at Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- Well done to all who took part in the Energy for Life Walney Family Fun Run
- BMX stolen in Ulverston
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Half-term report - foundations in place for Barrow Raiders success
- Barrow boxing coach out to prove he's a charity warrior
- Dalton RL prospect leads Italian job
- Barrow AFC line up keeper deal
- Pete Wilson - spare us the Ashes sledging
- Crarey hails Raiders' defensive qualities
- Edmo thrilled Simon remains part of his Grand Barrow plan
- Winger exits Barrow AFC
- Askam ace Jake fulfils England goal
- Treasured Barrow booklets returned......45 years later
- Boxing Star to inspire females in Barrow through Olympic and Paralympic legacy project
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
Visit our websites for...
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|