Furness fighter Conroy calls on sixth sense
Last updated at 16:19, Thursday, 08 November 2012
LIAM Conroy will be entering new territory when the bell sounds for his third professional contest next month.
The Barrow Amateur Boxing Club ace has made a stunning start to his pro career – knocking Danny Brown to the canvas in the fourth and final round of his debut in Bolton in June, and then beating his second opponent, Dan Blackwell, convincingly on points in another four-round bout in Manchester last month.
And while Conroy and his coach Jeff Moses are still waiting to hear who the 20-year-old middleweight will be up against at the Battle Of Manchester show at Bowlers on Friday, December 7, one thing they do know is that Conroy will be taking part in his first six-round contest.
“We haven’t got an opponent yet but he’s going to be doing a six rounder,” said Moses.
“Dave Coldwell (of promoters Coldwell Boxing) was impressed with his last bout and Jamie Moore (former two-time British light middleweight champion) was ringside and he was impressed as well.
“He actually stopped Liam after the fight and said to him that he liked his style, the way he was using body shots, and felt it was a similar style to how he fought during his career.
“They both said that even though Liam is only in the early stages of his career he would actually come more into his own if he was fighting six rounders, because the likes of his last opponent (Blackwell) wouldn’t have lasted if it had gone another round or so.
“Some boxers tend to think they can hang on if it’s four rounds, but they won’t be able to do that if it’s six.
“Liam hasn’t fought six rounds before so we have been preparing well. We have been away sparring already, doing six rounds and eight rounds to build up for it.
“We believe he has the ability to go up to six rounds, and his fitness levels are there. He can’t do any more training than what he is doing and his diet is always good.”
Conroy has benefited from some sparring sessions at JR’s Gym in Preston, where he spent time in the ring with a bigger fighter, light-heavyweight pro Matty Clarkson, who featured on the two Coldwell Boxing shows Conroy has boxed at, and will be in action again on the Battle of Manchester undercard.
Explained Moses: “It’s good for Liam to be sparring with a bigger and more experienced opponent because it means he can’t push him around and when he drops down to his own weight, and puts in some hard shots, they are going to be more effective.
“He is learning a lot of ring craft from Matty, little tricks here and there. He is learning off Matty Clarkson and Johnney Roye’s gym in Preston is a good gym, there’s a lot of experience down there.”
As far as who Conroy’s opponent will be, Moses expects to hear any day now, adding: “We have to source it and get it right, because he is still developing, but at the same time we don’t want to hold him back because he is flowing.”
The Battle Of Manchester show promises to be treat for boxing fans with high-class lightweights Kieran Farrell and Anthony Crolla locking horns at the top of the bill.
Conroy will no doubt be backed by a large travelling support, as he was for his debut in Bolton in June, and for his Made In Manchester show at Bowlers, when the boxer and some of his fans made an appearance in a highlights package on Sky Sports’ Ringside programme.
First published at 16:15, Thursday, 08 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
Visit our websites for...
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|