Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Shootout drama between Furness Rovers and Dalton

FURNESS Rovers won a dramatic penalty shootout against Dalton United to progress to the second round of the West Lancashire League Division Two Presidents Cup.

In a superb contest, Rovers were 2-0 up at half-time through goals from Jack Haughian and Steve Crompton.

But Dalton rallied in the second half and levelled at 2-2 before the 90 minutes were up, Gareth Jones and Dean Crossman on target.

However, it was Dave Staunton’s side who held their nerve to go through 3-2 on penalties after an eventful afternoon at the Training Pitch.

An under-strength Millom side went out of the competition 8-2 at Wyre Villa, with manager Mike Betteridge having to play in goal. Their scorers were Paul O’Callaghan and Josh Barker.

Hawcoat Park’s game at Garstang was postponed, as was Ambleside United’s tie at Hesketh Bank.

In the West Lancs Premier Division, an 89th-minute Carl Pearson goal looked to have earned Vickerstown a point at Euxton Villa, but the hosts scored a 95th-minute winner from a disputed free-kick to win 2-1.

Crooklands Casuals went down 3-0 at Coppull United, but it might have been closer had they not missed a penalty on the hour-mark when it was 2-0. The hosts’ third goal came in injury time.

The games at Askam United and Furness Cavaliers were postponed in Division Two, but Walney Island moved up to third place by beating basement side Milnthorpe Corinthians 5-1.

Jordan Brough scored a hat-trick for the Islanders, with Will Boulton and Chris Newsham also on target.

GSK Ulverston Rangers were at Kendal County, but lost 1-0 in a close game.

Holker Old Boys recovered from a 1-0 half-time deficit to progress in the North West Counties First Division Trophy second round against Irlam. Goals from Danny Keenan, Mike Kewley and Guy Heffernan saw them win 3-1.

Holker dominated the opening stages, but failed to find the back of the net and were punished as left-sided midfielder Liam Duffy struck for the home side on the break.

It was the 67th minute before Old Boys finally found a response, substitute Keenan restoring parity as he swept home Brad Hubbold’s cross seven minutes after he came on to the field.

Just eight minutes later, Kewley put Holker ahead, showing great footwork on the edge of the area, bamboozling the Irlam defence and squeezing between two defenders before thumping the ball into the roof of the net.

Heffernan wrapped up the game to earn a quarter-final spot and avenge the defeat by Irlam at that stage of last season, pouncing as Danny Keenan’s shot was spilled into his path.

Swarthmoor Social Club played for the first time in four weeks and were too good for hosts Heysham in the North Lancashire League Division One, winning 4-0.

Andy Butler and Mike Tomsett both scored twice as Swarthmoor kept up their promotion challenge.

Locally, 10 of the 15 games in the Furness Premier League competitions were postponed and, considering the recent weather, it was amazing that any were played at all.

In the Travis Perkins Furness Senior Cup, the outstanding preliminary round game was played at the third attempt and Holker Old Boys reserves made light of losing home advantage as they beat Hawcoat Park reserves 5-0.

Scorers for the victors were Liam Howlett (2), Danny Sawyer, Brandon Haughin and Ian Gommersall.

In the only Rifleman’s Garage Furness Premier Division game to survive, Vickerstown reserves took full advantage by winning 1-0 against Bootle to go top of the table.

Keeper Jordan Belcher saved a first-half penalty and Steve Kewley scored the winner in the 87th minute.

Bootle thought they had scored a dramatic last-minute equaliser when Graham Hartley’s long-range strike came down off the underside of the bar but it was deemed not to have crossed the line.

Only one of the five scheduled Premier Tiles Horne Cup ties went ahead and Britannia reserves edged through 3-2 against Bootle reserves at Biggar Bank.

Goals from Tyler Silver and Connor Robinson put the Brit 2-0 up after just 12 minutes, but in the second half Bootle were the better side and levelled through Dan Clarke and Dave Varley.

The tie was settled with nine minutes left when 16-year-old Robinson beat four players and smashed in a thunderous shot that deserved to win any game.

Haverigg United made the most of the Brit being in cup action to win and go top of Division Two on goal difference.

Lee Postlethwaite bagged a hat-trick and Craig Armstrong scored twice as they beat Barrow Celtic reserves 5-1. Iain McDonald replied for Celtic.

In the other game played, Scott Steeley scored his third in two games to settle the match between Furness Rovers A and Hawcoat Park A 1-0 in Rovers’ favour.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Do you back a call for legal highs to be banned?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out