Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Wednesday, 01 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Pearson double lifts Vickerstown

THINGS are looking up for a number of Furness-based sides after the latest round of weekend games.

With no games off due to the weather, there was a full set of fixtures involving our teams and several clubs will be hoping that the upturn in both form and climate can be carried through to the end of the season.

In The Bay West Lancashire League Premier Division both local sides came out on top with 3-1 home wins.

Vickerstown played well against bottom-placed Lostock St. Gerards and should have won more comfortably as Carl Pearson, 2, and Tony Canipa secured a welcome win.

It was Canipa who opened the scoring on the half hour mark and two Pearson efforts in quick succession on 55 and 60 minutes made sure of the points for Town, who have been starved of game-time in recent months due to the weather.
Lostock’s late consolation failed to take the shine off a good day for Dave Round Snr’s men.

Crooklands Casuals came from a goal down to beat Fulwood Amateurs thanks to a hat-trick from the evergreen Mike Park.

In Division One Millom gained three valuable points as Carl Waters held his nerve to score an 85th-minute penalty for the only goal of the game against BAC Preston to move Millom off the foot of the table. Hawcoat Park had to endure a nervy finish at home to Lytham Town, and having played well and never trailed, they ran out 4-3 winners.

Scorers were Mike Melia, Carl Mackay, Dave Round junior and Chris Hill. The win moves them nearer to safety while Furness Rovers are safely ensconced in mid-table following a 4-1 win over Haslingden St Mary’s. Steve Crompton 2, Sam Cunningham and a Steve Caskie penalty were Rovers’ scorers. Dalton United on the other hand travelled to 100 per cent league leaders Norcross And Norbreck and lost 4-0.

In Division Two Barrow Wanderers’ improvement continued with an excellent 2-1 win at Whinney Hill. Chris Cloudsdale and Kyle McCormick were on target as Wanderers gained a third successive league victory.

GSK Ulverston Rangers came from behind to beat Todmorden Borough 2-1 at Canal Foot. Jonny Grimes levelled before half-time and Jack Gardner scored the winner in the second half.

Furness Cavaliers suffered late heartbreak against leaders Hurst Green going down 1-0 to an 85th-minute penalty in a game they deserved to get something from.

Due to the odd number of teams in the league Askam United were the unlucky side to be without a fixture on a great day for playing football.

Walney Island bowed out of the Division Two Challenge Cup on penalties after drawing 1-1 with Croston Sports. Reece Fleming netted for Walney but the visitors won the shoot-out 3-2 to progress to the last eight.

Swarthmoor Social returned to winning ways with a 4-0 defeat of Millhead at Park Road in the North Lancashire League Division One. Scorers were Andy Butler, Jamie Lawson, Jon Bell and Richie Sandham.

Holker Old Boys’ interest in the North West Counties First Division Trophy ended with a 1-0 home defeat against Abbey Hey. Old Boys’ final chance of silverware this season disappeared with an inept display against the promotion challengers who netted the only goal in the first half.

Haverigg United went to the top of the Furness Premier League Riflemans Garage Premier Division by beating Hawcoat Park reserves 2-1 while Vickerstown reserves were going down 4-3 at Bootle. In a hard-fought contest at Wilson Park Haverigg edged home with goals from Andy Walker and Paul Barker while Ryan Mackay scored for Hawcoat.

The game at Millholme was also a tense affair as Vickerstown came from 3-0 down to level the scores only for Bootle to hit a late winner. The home side were 3-0 up after 30 minutes but Tony Gooding (penalty) and Gavin Butler scored to make it 3-2 at half-time. Gooding equalised and Vickertsown hit the woodwork before the late goal. Bootle’s scorers were Greg Bedford, Andrew Marshall, Jack Denwood and an own goal.

Kirkby United and Holker Old Boys continue to keep pace at the top with wins over Furness Rovers reserves and Barrow Celtic respectively. Mike Birkett and Tom Harrison were on target for Kirkby as they won 2-0 while Holker won 6-1 at Newby Terrace.

Holker’s scorers were Josh Jones, Jack Hargreaves, Brandon Haughin (penalty) Callum White, Tom Howlett and an own goal. Rob Johnson scored Celtic’s consolation.

At the foot of the table there may be a change ahead as Crooklands Casuals reserves were unable to fulfil their fixture at Dalton United reserves and face the possibility of a three-point deduction. Two other sides not out of trouble are Barrow Wanderers reserves and Millom reserves who drew 1-1 at Lesh Lane. Andrew Hainey scored for Wanderers with Otis Holliday on target for Millom.

In the Furness FA Cup competitions, sponsored by Travis Perkins, there were wins for Britannia, Barrow Island and Vickerstown A.

The final first round game in the Senior Cup saw Britannia beat GSK Ulverston Rangers reserves 5-1 on the bottom pitch at Rakesmoor.

After a tightly-contested opening Dave Jepson opened the scoring for the Brit on 23 minutes and soon after a deflected Liam Holmes shot made it 2-0.

Danny Keenan scored before half-time and then made it 4-0 after the break before Phil Holmes pulled a goal back for Rangers. Keenan completed his hat-trick to make the final score 5-1 and then went up to the top pitch to appear as a sub for Holker first team!

In the Junior Cup, Barrow Island beat Holker Old Boys A 3-1 with goals from Tony Miller, Gareth Armstrong and Phil Kyle with Reece Hudson getting Holker’s goal from the penalty spot.

Vickerstown A had few problems against a depleted Hawcoat Park A, going through 4-1. Scorers were Martin Clarke, Darren Clarke, Charlie Shaw and Jonny Moore.

Askam United reserves progressed to the quarter finals of the Paul Wilson Memorial Trophy and a trip to Holker Old Boys reserves with a 3-1 win over Furness Cavaliers reserves.

After a goalless first half Askam blitzed Cavaliers with three goals in the opening eight minutes of the second half. Matty Plant, Scott Dempsey and a quickly taken free-kick from Kev Edwards effectively killed the game off although Ben Tiffney pulled a goal back for Cavs.

Despite the late sending off of Andy Green for a reckless lunge on Cavs keeper Ben Sowerby, Askam never looked like losing with Edwards showing his quality throughout and Keiron Braithwaite posing a constant threat from midfield.
Swarthmoor Social reserves moved closer to Premier Tiles leaders Barrow Island with a 2-1 league win over Walney Island reserves.

Ben Mooney and Greg Stewart scored the goals while Reece Downing replied for Walney.

There was a surprise result in Division Two as Askam United A moved off the bottom of the table by beating leaders Britannia reserves 2-0 thanks to goals from Jon France and Josh Rayner.

Furness Rovers A were easy winners over Barrow Wanderers A with goals from Shaun Fisher (2) Rob Usher, Dylan Schofield and Connor Mulholland.

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Will the terror attacks in Tunisia stop you travelling abroad?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out