Furness footballing starlet Georgia picked for England
Published at 18:37, Sunday, 24 February 2013
RISING football star Georgia Stanway has been selected to play for England Schools.
The call-up follows hot on the trail of her being chosen to represent the England FA representative side.
Stanway received her letter of confirmation for the under-15s schools’ selection on Wednesday night and her mother Joanne said last night: “Georgia is excited. She did really well at the trial, but you just never know who they want and who they will select in the end. We just had to wait until she got a letter.”
The Dowdales school pupil will face Scotland in her first England Schools match, an indoor game, on March 16, at St George’s Park, the newly-opened home of the National Football Centre, in Burton-Upon-Trent, Staffordshire.
A four-day tournament in Belfast at the beginning of April follows, then there will be a return match against Scotland in Glasgow, on April 20.
Stanway had a foot in both camps during the trials match at Lilleshall, Shropshire.
The pacy forward netted for the North and later faced her team-mates during a game, which was split into four 25-minute sections.
Stanway, 14, shone in the opening quarter, scoring a fabulous goal and putting in some super tackles and accurate passing. At the end of the first two quarters the stronger North side led 2-0 and after the break the teams were swapped around seeing Stanway turn out in a South shirt.
Unfortunately she saw little of the ball during this period, with the North running out 4-0 winners.
The gifted striker, who harbours hopes of one day playing for England at senior level, was in irresistible form when she played for the England FA under-15s last year, scoring twice on her debut against the Republic of Ireland at St George’s Park.
She came on as a substitute against the Republic of Ireland to help the England under-15s team sink the opposition 9-0.
Stanway has recently signed a new 12-month contract with Blackburn Rovers’ Centre of Excellence for whom the pacy striker has scored a netful of goals.
Her skills were spotted by England FA scouts, which led to her being invited to an Elite Performance Camp last year and to making her dream debut.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
- Success brewing as Hardknott signs prestigious high street deal
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Warning to DIY rat killers in South Cumbria
- PHOTOS: Festival atmosphere marks end of busy year for Barrow college
- Call for CCTV cameras to be installed in Dalton
- Families’ plight as Barrow Foodbank sees numbers soar by a third
- Hundreds want to leave cash-strapped Cumbria authority
- Barrow Raiders show true grit to defeat Newcastle Thunder
- Millom CC blow leaders Dalton away
- Barrow CC pro is star with bat and ball
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder - with video highlights (3 comments)
- Wins for Askam and Millom in National Conference
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time for Barrow Raiders to step it up
- RAIDERS REVIEW: Time to silence Thunder
- Barrow Raiders score thrilling win over Newcastle Thunder
- Moffatt's Royal day at Cartmel: with picture gallery
- Barrow Raiders told to steal Newcastle's Thunder
- WEDDING ALBUM: Sharna Forsyth and James Tyson
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Venice
- FOOD REVIEW: Punchbowl, Crosthwaite
- Time to forge better deal within the EU
- FOOD REVIEW: The Crown, North Scale, Walney
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Bali
- Toddler fights back from heart surgery
- Garden no safe place for birds
- WEDDING ALBUM: Gemma Jones and Craig Brown
- Let’s unite and take on fight together