PICTURE SPECIAL: Nothing to separate Ulverston and Askam

17 September 2017 2:46PM

GSK Ulverston Rangers and Askam United played out an entertaining six-goal encounter in West Lancs Division One.

On a near-perfect day for football, GSK started slightly, and within the first ten minutes a James Pinnegor free-kick was flicked on by Dean Crossman, who found Sean Darby 12 yards out. Darby took control before prodding it past the onrushing keeper to put the hosts 1-0 up.

Askam responded quickly with a well-taken Callum Rayner free-kick from 25 yards out, which found the bottom corner.

Within minutes Jordan Rayner hit a cracking long-range effort into the top corner to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

Rangers responded well, and Crossman soon had a goal ruled out for offside.

Askam keeper Phil Postlethwaite produced a magnificent save from an Andy Whiteford attempt, tipping the ball onto the bar when it looked a certain goal.

Whiteford soon had his goal though, when put through one-on-one with Postlethwaite. The keeper saved the initial attempt, but the ball looped up into the air and Whiteford was the first to react to rise highest to head the ball in from an acute angle to level the scores at 2-2.

The game then swung again when Crossman made it 3-2 to GSK. Put through on goal, he took his time before shooting across the face and into the far corner.

The game was not over though.

In the final moments, Askam were reduced to 10 men but they finished strongly and, with only minutes remaining, Dec Baines rose highest to head home from a corner to seal a point.

Elsewhere in Division One, Crooklands Casuals lost 3-2 at home to Wyre Villa, Dave Mansergh helping himself to both goals.

In the Premier Division, an injury-ravaged Vickerstown lost 3-1 at home to league leaders Blackpool Wren Rovers, ex-Kirkham striker Sean Paterson was their goal-scorer.

Division Two action saw Dalton United beat Tempest United reserves 4-3. Gareth Jones scored a hat-trick and Ben Wright also got on the scoresheet for Dalton.

Walney lost 4-2 at Kendal United. Their cause was not helped after being reduced to 10 men with only five minutes played.

Kieron Solloway and Matt Lockley netted in a gutsy performance.

Furness Rovers lost 5-0 away at Padiham reserves.

In the Lancashire Shield, Furness Cavaliers lost 7-0 away to CMB.

Barrow Celtic were in Lancashire Cup action, and they are through to the second round thanks to a 3-2 win away at Wilbraham Club.

Mike Tracey, James Sloan and Connor Smith were the Celtic scorers.

Kirkby are out after a 6-2 defeat at the hands of Anchorsholme. Barrow Wanderers also lost, 3-0 to Condor Green.

Hawcoat Park reserves moved to the top of the Furness Premier League table after beating Bootle 3-1. Tom Hammond (2) and Harry Speirs scored for Hawcoat, Aaron Bradley replied for Bootle.

Swarthmoor missed the chance to go top, losing 2-1 at home to Croftlands, Graham Wilcox scored Swarthmoor’s goal after missing an earlier penalty, but Josh Atkinson and Lewis Jones grabbed a goal each to move Croftlands up to fifth.

Holker Old Boys reserves kick-started their season with an 8-1 win at home to Coniston. Spencer Erdis (2), Danny Sawyer (2), Scott Bowes, Sam Hunt, Dave Cook and Josh Tweddle shared out the goal-scoring duties. Phil Edmondson scored his customary goal for Coniston.

Haverigg United are up to fourth in the table after a narrow 1-0 win at home to Vickerstown reserves.An Andy Hammond own goal was the difference.

Millom reserves beat Dalton reserves 3-2. Ian Swarbrick, Jamie Cairns and Mike Plews scored for Millom, Danny Leech and Frazer Shand replied for Dalton.

Walney Island reserves lost 2-1 at home to Furness Cavaliers reserves. Kane Moffat scored for Walney, Jordan Hughes and Sean Critchley were on target for Cavs.

Division One leaders Hawcoat A defeated Bridge United 6-2.

Craig Muncaster bagged a hat-trick, and Tom Stanwix (2) and Christian Scott made up the half-dozen. Josh Greenwood and Connor Treen were the Bridge’s scorers.

Barrow Celtic reserves beat Haverigg reserves 6-1. Jack Pedley (4), Josh Eaton and Lewis Freirslick were the Celtic scorers. Liam Hartley fired home Haverigg’s consolation effort.

Furness Rovers reserves lost 3-2 at home to Crooklands reserves. Terry Anderson (2) and Ben Phizacklea scored for Cassies, Brendon Trainor and Joe Walker for Rovers.

Ormsgill North End beat Swarthmoor reserves by the odd goal in five. Youngster Lewis Sullivan and Connor Meltzer netted for Swarthmoor, while Jonny O’Halloran, Damo Minnican and Mike Crampton scored for Ormsgill as they ran out 3-2 winners.

Vickerstown A beat Millom A 3-1. Charlie Spence rolled back the years to score two and young Tyler Swales grabbed the other for Vickerstown. Chris O’Brien hit home Millom’s goal.

British Legion picked up their first win with a 6-0 victory over Barrow Celtic. Connor Bone (2), Luke Hunter, Carl Gill, Danny Bewley and Scott Steeley were the Legion’s scorers.

Britannia reserves also won 6-0. It was GSK reserves on the end of the scoreline, as Jack Kavanagh (3), Charlie Shaw (2) and Ryan Wilson made up the home side’s tally.

Croftlands reserves drew 1-1 with Kirkby reserves. Jamie Howell scored for Croftlands, Lee Tracey replied for Kirby.

Millom St James and Bootle reserves served up a seven-goal treat. Bootle won 4-3, with goals coming from Steve Duddin, Tom Millard, David Singleton and Kevin Hartley. Millom’s goals were scored by Keenan Pugh, Jason Heasly and a spectacular effort from veteran striker Bri Moore.

Holker Old Boys lost 5-1 at Cammell Laird in North West Counties Division One. They were 5-0 down before Callum Baynes scored for the away side.

Holker host Carlisle City on Wednesday night (7.45pm kick-off).

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know