PICTURE SPECIAL: Crompton spot-on as Ormsgill beat Cartmel on penalties

8 October 2017 9:38PM

STEVE Crompton held his nerve from the penalty spot to send Ormsgill through after a Furness Junior Cup thriller against Cartmel A.

Ormsgill started the brighter and dominated the first 20 minutes, however they could not convert any of their chances and the game was still at 0-0 when Cartmel scored with their first meaningful attack as Richard Spendlove lobbed Kyle Whitby.

The hosts were soon back on level terms when veteran Crompton scored from a Mike Crampton free-kick.

Within a minute, Damian Minnican put Ormsgill ahead after a great through ball from Crompton.

Cartmel were enjoying plenty of the ball in their opponents half but the Ormsgill centre-half pairing of Mark Birrell and Mike Reid held the line excellently.

Midway through the second half, North Lancs side Cartmel drew level after a goalmouth scramble saw Tom Whinfield pop up with the equaliser.

The game continued with both sides pressing for a winner, but it was not to be and so the tie had to be decided by penalties.

Both teams scored all five of their allotted spot-kicks and it went to sudden death.

Kyle Whitby saved Cartmel’s sixth penalty and Crompton kept his cool to win it for Ormsgill.

Elsewhere in the Junior Cup, Walney Island reserves beat Vickerstown A 2-0. Seth Storey and Jimmy Burns were the Walney scorers.

In the Furness Senior Cup, Bootle lost 4-3 at home to Askam. Graham Hartley (2) and Aaron Bradley scored for Bootle, but Mike Thomson, Ross Walker and Dec Baines (2) saw Askam through to the next round.

Croftlands Park also advanced after a 3-2 win at Britannia. Sean Nicholson, Mike Tomsett and Ryan Ireland scored for Croftlands, Liam Holmes and Cameron Clark replied for the Brit.

Vickerstown beat Coniston 3-1 thanks to goals from Robbie McMurdo, Mike Imison and Sam Johnson. Jake Biles scored Coniston’s goal.

Hawcoat Park lost 3-1 at home to GSK Ulverston Rangers. Elliott Moore scored for Hawcoat, but goals from Zac Milby, Kurt Roberston and Chris Bolton saw GSK progress to the next round.

Furness Cavaliers and Furness Rovers drew 4-4. Josh Jones put Rovers 1-0 up before a Kyle Delves hat-trick saw Cavs leading 3-1.

Jones got his second and Ryan Fagan equalised for Rovers, before James Hutton scored with his first touch in the 86th minute.

Scott Goulding grabbed a dramatic equaliser before Cavaliers eventually won 3-1 on penalties.

The comeback of the day came from Walney Island. After being 4-1 down at half-time, they triumphed 7-5 at Kirkby United.

Paul Cleasby, Sam Pinnegor, Zach Mooney, Mark Jackson and a Kyle Carter own goal made up the Kirkby total. James Bailey, Steve Brennan and Tom Savage scored for Walney, but the introduction of second-half sub Scott McDonald changed the game as he helped himself to four goals, the pick of which was a 20-yard overhead kick into the top corner.

In Furness Division One, Swarthmoor reserves beat Askam reserves 2-0 thanks to goals from Chris Callister and Jack Moore.

Bridge United and Barrow Celtic reserves drew 4-4. Craig McIlvogue (2) Andrew Hainey and Shaun Yates scored for Celtic, Josh Greenwood (2) and Lee Harkin (2) replied for Bridge.

Crooklands reserves beat Haverigg United reserves 4-0, Scott Phizacklea (2) Tony Butler and David Graves all on target for the home side.

Hawcoat Park A overcame Furness Rovers reserves 7-1. Christian Scott (3) Ryan Muncaster (3) and Toby Mowat scored for Hawcoat after Andy Oxley had put Rovers in front.

Division Two action saw Croftlands reserves beat Bootle reserves 7-2, Isaac Prosser scored five, while Jamie Sandham and Charlie Segger grabbed a goal each.

Barrow Celtic A defeated Holker Old Boys A 4-0 thanks to goals from Danny Mackay (2) Scott Burgess and veteran Darren Greig.

British Legion saw off Millom St James 3-0, with Connor Bone, Danny Bewley and Carl Gill the scorers.

Kirkby United reserves beat Walney A 3-1. John Marrs, Brad Joy and Tim Harrison were the scorers, but Mike Birkett pulled the strings for Kirkby, laying on all three goals.

Vickerstown are out of the Richardson Cup after a 4-3 loss at home to Tempest.

Goals from Phil Cubin and two from Danny Cummings, who was outstanding on the day, were not enough to keep them in the cup.

Holker Old Boys picked up another three North West Counties Division One points away at Eccleshall after a 4-2 win. Danny Keenan (3) and Brad Hubbold were the scorers.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know