Hawcoat Park off target in only game to beat the weather

19 March 2017 6:50PM

ONLY one local match survived the heavy rainfall on Friday as the ever-dependable Hawcoat Park was deemed fit to play on as Park, fresh from progressing to the Presidents Cup final in midweek, welcomed Burscough Richmond for a West Lancs Division One clash.

Hawcoat rang the changes from the team that took to the field on Wednesday, putting their full squad to good use in the run-up to the final a week on Tuesday.

But it was a case of after the lord mayor's show as Burscough started this West Lancs League Division One game at full throttle and were ahead with only two minutes on the clock.

An early corner wasn’t dealt with by the home defence and the Burscough striker fired home the opening goal.

With Hawcoat struggling to get a foothold in the game Burscough spent most of the half attacking but couldn’t extend their lead.

In the second half with conditions worsening Burscough extended their lead when another set piece, this time a free kick, wasn’t dealt with, and, after a mix-up, the ball was lashed home by a Burscough player.

Hawcoat changed their formation to a 3-4-3 in search of a goal to get them back into the game and chances fell to Jake Rees and Luke Mitchell but the Burscough keeper dealt with the efforts comfortably.

With five minutes remaining Mike Melia was adjudged to have been fouled in the box and from the resulting penalty Ollie Maguire smashed the ball home to half the deficit, but Burscough saw the game out with some clever play inside the last few minutes.

Furness Cavaliers travelled to promotion-chasing Croston Sports and were beaten 4-1 on a pitch that resembled a quagmire. Kyle Delves scored for Cavs.

Holker went in search of a Reusch North West Counties First Division Cup Final appearance as they travelled to Sandbach for the second leg of their semi-final tie.

Holker were trailing 3-1 from the home leg but produced an improved display to win the game 3-2.

Sam Lightfoot, JP Stanway and Dave Swarbrick scored for Holker but it was in vain as they were beaten 5-4 over the two legs.

Walney Island made the long trip to Coppull but when they arrived the referee sent them home after deeming the pitch unfit to play on.

With fixtures now starting to pile up for most teams it will be a case of praying to the weather Gods this week in hope of getting some games played next weekend.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know