Darby strike helps GSK Ulverston Rangers take derby honours

4 September 2017 9:00AM

ASKAM welcomed GSK Ulverston Rangers for a West Lancs Division One League Cup fixture, and it was the visitors who took the spoils 2-0.

With both teams locked in a mid-table position it was set up to be a tight affair. It was a cagey first half where no possession football was played, a typical derby game with a few crunching challenges from either side going in.

Neither keeper was troubled until a long-range effort from Sean Darby was spilled over the line by the Askam keeper to make it 1-0 late in the first half. Askam missed a penalty which gave the impetus to GSK and midway through the second half 16-year-old Zac Milby sealed the win with his first goal in the open age game.

GSK had to thank the back four of Corey Smith, Brad Robinson, captain James Pinnegor and Gav Butler who defended like Trojans for 90 minutes and protected goalkeeper Jarek Bitner.

League Cup defending champions Hawcoat Park went out at the first hurdle as they were beaten 3-1 at home by CMB. Elliott Moore scored for Park.

Crooklands are also out after going down 2-0 away to Mill Hill St Peters.

In the Challenge Cup Furness Cavaliers drew 3-3 away to Kendal United but lost 4-2 on penalties.

Kyle Delves, Callum Lamb and Chris Cloudsdale were the Cavaliers scorers. Dalton are also out after a 2-0 defeat at the hands of Lostock St Gerards. Millom are deservedly through to the next round at the expense of Walney Island after a 2-0 victory thanks to goals from Ben McDonald and a 20-yard curling strike into the top corner from Jordan Williams.

Vickerstown’s home tie with Tempest was postponed after an electrical fault at Park Vale.

In the Furness Premier League leaders Kirkby came from behind to beat Holker Reserves 5-2.

David Cook and Spencer Erdis put Holker in front by half-time but Huw Barton (2), Sam Pinnegor (2) and Connor Saunders gave Kirkby the three points. Swarthmoor beat an under-strength Britannia 6-2 to stay in second place. Ross Walker and Tommy Dawes were on target for The Brit.

Hawcoat leapfrogged Barrow Celtic into third after a 5-0 win at Walney Island. Frankie Ellis (2) Matty Pickering, Tom Hammond and Carl Pearson all scored for Hawcoat.

Barrow Celtic lie in fourth after losing 3-1 at Furness Cavaliers Reserves. James Sloan had given Celtic a 1-0 lead but Steve Morgan (2) and Matty Gregg did the damage for Cavs.

The match also marked Steve Critchley’s 200th game for the club. He is still waiting to get on the scoresheet. Bootle staged the late late show at home to Vickerstown. Vickerstown were 1-0 up through a Robbie McMurdo goal but with the last kick of the game Oliver Smith scored a penalty for Bootle.

Coniston stay bottom of the table after a 3-1 loss at home to Croftlands.

Matt Dean (2) and Jamie Slater scored for Croftlands. Patrick Maher replied for Coniston.

Dalton Reserves are one place above Coniston and they lost 6-2 at Haverigg. John Chmiel (2), Jack Cullen (2), Luke Chmiel and Daniel Munroe all got on the scoresheet for the home side.

Hawcoat Park A made it three wins from three with a 4-0 win against Haverigg United Reserves.

Craig Muncaster (2) Ryan Muncaster and Jake Reynolds keep up Hawcoat’s 100 per cent record.

Barrow Wanderers and Ormsgill shared six goals in a 3-3 draw. Jed Wilkinson (2) and Jordan Swarbrick scored for Wanderers who had a fourth ruled out for offside. Darryl Fletcher and the Cunningham brothers, Liam and Dan, replied for Ormsgill. Bridge United lost 2-1 at home to Furness Rovers Reserves.

Jamie Edgely and Reece Carlisle were the Rovers goalscorers. Jordan White was on target for Bridge. Vickerstown A beat Askam Reserves 2-0. Will Rimmer and Ian Rogers grabbed a goal each. Crooklands Reserves defeated Swarthmoor Reserves by the odd goal in three. Scott Phizacklea scored both Crooklands’ efforts in a 2-1 win.

Millom A team recorded a 3-2 win over Barrow Celtic Reserves. Dec Pugh, Jon Patton and Mark O’Brien were all on target for Millom.

In the second division, new team Millom St James got off to a flying start with a 5-1 home win over Walney Island A. Brian Shaw (2), Jason Heasley and the evergreen Bri Moore (2) were the goalscorers.

Britannia Reserves lost 2-1 at home to Bootle Reserves. Callum Brown and Daniel Snell were on target for Bootle.

Jo Gedling opened his account for The Brit.

Another new team Croftlands Reserves got off to a flying start with a 3-0 win at GSK Ulverston Reserves.

Paul Shields (2) and Charlie Segger sharing the goalscoring duties against a youthful GSK team that only had one player over seventeen years old!

Kirkby United Reserves beat Barrow Celtic A 4-3. Iain McDonald (2) and Scott Burgess scored for Celtic but Kirkby had Lee Tracey (2) Tom Harrison and Cam Cooper on hand to take all three points.

Holker Old Boys visited New Mills and were on the wrong end of a 7-2 scoreline. Danny Keenan got Holker off to a great start scoring after only three minutes but by the time Tyler Spence got on the scoresheet New Mills had ran in four goals and finished strongly with another three goals in the last 15 minutes.

There is a full midweek fixture list in the Furness Premier League during the week, and there will be a full round up in Friday’s Mail.

Comment on this article

Generate a new code
Comments not OK? Click here to let us know