Duddon canoe kids power to victory in Yorkshire
Last updated at 16:09, Tuesday, 30 October 2012
DUDDON Canoe Club’s wildwater youngsters conquered the course to land a host of titles at Slenningford Mill, near Ripon.
The Barrow club sent 11 paddlers to the North Yorkshire waters and they proved too strong for opponents from Rutland and Manchester.
Extremely high water levels meant the competition could not use the whole course, but the revised route proved a favourite for the Cumbrian racers.
Alex D’Amico led the way with the fastest time of the day, completing the course in one minute and 14 seconds to take the under-18s race in fast but difficult conditions.
The top performance, though, came from under-14s racer Harry Austin, who completed the course in a general purpose boat and set a time which beat all the under-16s entrants.
The results mean Duddon have taken a huge step towards retaining the Wavehopper Championship they won last month. They triumphed in six categories, the most which can be taken forward to the final standings.
Duddon are next in action at the Youth Championships on the River Irwell in next month.
Under-12s Girls: 1. Victoria Longstaff, 2. Ruth McKenny.
Under-12s Boys: 1. Owen Wilson.
Under-14s Girls: 1. Nadine Merrick, 2. Emily Longstaff.
Under-14s Boys: 1. Brandon Wilson, 2. Harry Austin.
Under-16s Girls: 1. Rhiann Taylor.
Under-16s Boys: 1. Wil Snelson.
Under-18s Girls: 1. Lucy McCluskey.
Under-18s Boys: 1. Alex D’Amico.
First published at 16:08, Tuesday, 30 October 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|