Cumbria's young roll models put on a show
Last updated at 13:17, Friday, 18 May 2012
CUMBRIA’S crown green stars of the future showed their skills in their opening game of the season against Shropshire.
The county team – which included several Furness players – produced an excellent 9-3 victory in the home leg, played at Barrow Island Bowling Club.
The away leg was always going to be difficult, with several players making their debuts on a very tricky green at Donnington Wood and up against a very experienced home team.
But to their credit Cumbria never gave up and produced some fine bowling. Dan Williams and Chloe Halhead were involved in close games and 12-year-old Keiron Clark, of Ulverston Cons, won his game 21-18.
This was no real surprise, however, as Clark has gone on to represent the full county men’s team again – proving the junior set-up have a nucleus of fine players.
In the home leg, experienced bowlers Adam Miller, captain Tom Harris and Billy Thornton were excellent, not just in their displays but also in the way they supported the rest of the team.
One of the best results went to Connor Emanuel, of Roose Cons, who trailed 14-2 at one stage, but he knuckled down and came out on top, winning 21-20.
Special mentions should go to Amy Harris, of Roose Cons, and Jamie Boardman, of Post Office, who were both well down in their games only to pull back with some excellent woods before finally losing.
Cumbria’s man-of-the-match, however, went to Post Office’s Zach Walker, who bowled excellently in his game, winning 21-11.
The county set-up would like to thank Barrow Island for hosting the home leg, with special thanks going to Ronnie Walmsley, who provided an excellent green and helped out throughout the day.
CUMBRIA JUNIORS v SHROPSHIRE
Adam Miller 21 Ben McCormick 12, Tom Harris 21 Jason Price 18, Zach Walker 21 Daniel Addis 11, Jamie Boardman 15 Neil Ashley 21, Matthew Dawson 21 Nathan Baker 19, Amy Harris 17 Hayden Lewis 21, Connor Emanuel 21 Natalie Connor 20, Ben Pullin 21 Jodie Walton 20, Dan Edmonds 21 Lewis Rogers 12, Billy Thornton 21 Sam Cartwright 9, Jordan Satterthwaite 21 George Balshaw 14, Jack Taylor 7 Kiah Roberts 21.
John Holliday 5 Jamie King 21, Matthew Stewart 14 David Lloyd 21, Jack Halhead 17 Ben Hudson 21, Matthew Thomas 8 Chelsea Gregory 21, Dan Williams 18 Ellie Wall 21, Josh Ducie 13 Kelly Baugh 21, Joshua Burne 8 Louise Potter 21, Ellie Chandler 3 Sam Millward 21, Matthew Cannon 3 Jack France 21, Chloe Halhead 18 Jodie Rutter 21, Aidan Milliard 9 Ashley Gregory 21, Keiron Clark 21 Liam Jones 18.
First published at 13:31, Wednesday, 16 May 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course