New faces get the nod for North Lancs side
Last updated at 16:54, Friday, 08 June 2012
FURNESS batsman Tom Smith has been rewarded for his fine early-season form with a call-up to the North Lancashire and Cumbria League representative side.
The left-handed opening bat joins Furness team-mates Mark Daly and Pete Lawson in the North Lancs team for their Kookaburra Reader Inter-league Competition opener against the Manchester Association.
There is also a call-up for Haverigg batsman and off-spinner Jordan Postlethwaite, and the team will travel south for Sunday’s first round away game with a new skipper in charge – Workington’s hard-hitting New Zealander Simon Beare.
Familiar faces in the team – who were beaten finalists last year – are Beare’s Workington team-mates Matt Gorley and Callum and Kristian Moffat, and Millom skipper Simon Bickerstaffe.
But Bickerstaffe’s fellow St George’s Road all-rounder, Graham Dawson, will not be involved as he lines up for Cumberland in their Minor Counties Eastern Division three-day opener against Staffordshire, which starts on Sunday at Ernest Pass.
The side are also missing two players who have been regulars in the league XI in recent years – ex-Furness skipper Stuart Horne (who has moved to Scotland) and former Penrith ace Nicky Burns (who is now playing Northern Premier League cricket for Barrow).
The North Lancs under-18s will begin their Kookaburra inter-league campaign with a home game against the Central Lancashire League – the team they shared the 2011 title with.
They lock horns at Furness CC on Sunday, with local lads Garry Thompson (Furness), Jack Cumberbatch (Lindal Moor) and Chris Savage (Hawcoat Park) named in the team (1.30pm start).
North Lancs Senior XI: Simon Beare (Workington, captain); Simon Bickerstaffe (Millom); Mark Daly (Furness); Matt Gorley (Workington); Chris Hodgson (Cockermouth); Pete Lawson (Furness); Callum Moffat (Workington, wicketkeeper); Kristian Moffat (Workington); Jordan Postlethwaite (Haverigg); Chris Quin (Cleator); Tom Smith (Furness).
Under-18s: Nick Watt (Wigton); Jack Cumberbatch (Lindal Moor); Garry Thompson (Furness); Ben Sharp (Keswick); Sam Scully (Cockermouth); Greg Hall (Penrith); Michael Clarke (Penrith); Jake Daniel (Workington); Matt lowden (Workington); Angus Carruthers (Cockermouth); Chris Savage (Hawcoat Park); Michael Slack (Carlisle).
First published at 13:16, Friday, 08 June 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|