X

Cookies

Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Tuesday, 02 September 2014

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices
 

Conroy ready to step up to next level against Randell

LIAM Conroy says he has “an extra spring in his step” after discovering who his next opponent will be.

The Barrow Amateur Boxing Club ace will take on Tony Randell in The Battle Of Manchester show next month, hoping to make it three wins out of three in the professional ranks.

It promises to be the biggest test of Conroy’s fledgling pro career so far – both in terms of the quality of the man in the opposite corner, and also because it will be the Brook Street gym ace’s first six-round contest.

Conroy’s two previous pro fights – commanding victories over Danny Brown and Dan Blackwell – were four-round affairs. But the Randell bout will be a six-rounder on the undercard of a much-anticipated lightweight clash between Kieran Farrell and Anthony Crolla at Bowlers Exhibition Centre on Friday, December 7.

Randell is ranked 32nd out of 101 British middleweights – 14 places above Conroy, and considerably higher than Brown or Blackwell.

And although Randell’s career record of 12 wins, 29 defeats and two draws, is nothing spectacular, the 30-year-old, Birmingham-based boxer has claimed some good scalps. Three years ago he defeated Max Maxwell, who took Brian Rose the distance in a British light-middleweight title bout earlier this year.

“I’ve got an extra little spring in my step now,” said Conroy, who is both respectful but unfazed by the threat posed by Randell.

“Knowing who I am fighting has made me dig in a little bit harder in the bag. I’ve seen a video of him as well, so I kind of know what to expect in a way, although you can never fully know what to expect.

“He looks pretty good. He’s beaten some pretty good lads. I looked at his record and he’s beaten Max Maxwell, who me and Jeff (Barrow ABC coach Jeff Moses) went to see fight Brian Rose for British title and he was pretty good.

“And this guy I’m fighting has got a win against Maxwell, so it shows he must be tough.

“I’m just happy that people believe in me to step me up that fast. But if Jeff thinks I’m good enough, then I will be good enough.”

Conroy has been training hard as usual, and has benefited from some sparring sessions at JR’s Gym in Preston, with light-heavyweight pro Matty Clarkson, who will also be in action on the Battle of Manchester undercard.

Conroy added: “Next week I will be sparring again and training really hard, and then the week after I will still be training really hard but not doing any sparring and then tapering off towards the end of the week, and then after that I will just come down here for a bit of pad work.”lPeople wanting to join the growing army of fans supporting Liam Conroy at the Battle Of Manchester show can contact him on 07429 188216.

Have your say
Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


SHARE THIS ARTICLE

North West Evening Mail What's on search










Powered by
nwemail.co.uk/jobs

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk






Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:

Vote

Are school holidays too long?

Yes

No

Show Result


Go green 34

Travel the globe

Go green 33

Going digital


To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out