Barrow runner Thommo fulfills lifetime ambition with Olympics selection
Last updated at 14:32, Thursday, 05 July 2012
OLYMPIC athlete Chris Thompson has fulfilled his lifelong ambition by being selected for London 2012.
The 31-year-old Barrow-born runner was named in the Great Britain team for the Games this week.
He will run in the 10,000m in the Olympic Stadium, competing for the first men’s track medals of the entire games.
Thompson has been nursing a back problem, which caused him to miss the GB Trials in Birmingham last month, but his performances last year and earlier this year got him the nod from UK Athletics chief Charles van Commenee.
“I’m really chuffed and excited,” Thompson told the Evening Mail from his altitude training base in France, where he will stay until the Olympics start.
“There’s still a long way to go and I want to make the most of this opportunity.
“To think my lifelong ambition to be an Olympian has been given to me!
“It’s almost surreal. You never know the extent of the joy or loss until it happens.”
Thompson’s joy at being selected was offset by the news his girlfriend Jemma Simpson missed out on a place in the women’s 800m. She was one of four British athletes to have achieved the Olympic A-standard – just as Thompson had done for both the 5,000m and 10,000m – but all were overlooked in favour of European Championships silver medallist Lynsey Sharp, who only had the B-standard and was the only runner picked.
Thompson added: “The other side of the coin is I’m gutted for my girlfriend Jemma not being in team. It feels like I’m experiencing both sides.
“This year will be one to remember for so many reasons for everyone.
“So far, I feel so lucky and privileged and will make the most of that!”
Thompson’s 10,000m race – where he will race alongside British team-mate and gold medal favourite Mo Farah – will take place at 9.15pm on Saturday, August 4. It will be shown live on BBC TV.
First published at 13:46, Thursday, 05 July 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|