Barrow Raiders captain Harrison wins top sports award
Last updated at 17:09, Friday, 09 November 2012
BARROW Raiders captain Liam Harrison was last night crowned Barrow Borough Sports Council Sportsperson of the Year.
Harrison picked up the prize as reward for an outstanding season, in which he helped his hometown club to promotion to the Championship and a Grand Final appearance, as well as winning several player-of-the-year awards.
Barrow and Furness Striders cross country team won the Open Age Team Of the Year prize at the annual sports awards held at The Forum, following their stunning Mid Lancashire Division One cross country league success.
Emily Bolton, the brilliant junior table tennis star from Askam, picked up the Junior Sportsperson of the Year prize, while Askam RLFC’s superb under-14s side were Junior Team of the Year.
It was an occasion to celebrate the unsung heroes of sport as well as the outstanding performers, with Brogan Stewart winning the Young Sports Volunteer of the Year award, and Pat Ryan Service to Sport awards handed to Tommy Jefferson, of Barrow Island RL, Matt Graham and Danny Miller, of Askam Wadoki Karate Club, the Barrow and District JFL’s Dave Tyson, Bob Woods, of Hawcoat Park, Joanne Irvine Leech, of the Islanders Dance Troupe, and Barrow Amateur Boxing Club’s Jeff Moses.
Don’t miss: Full report and pictures in Saturday’s Evening Mail.
First published at 16:53, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Otter found in South Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Barrow sports club’s future secured by a new long-term lease
- Askam dad killed by mix of drugs and alcohol
- Record day for young musicians at Ulverston contest
- Parents of starving Ulverston children in court today for sentencing
- Race against time to Cumbria and Lancashire save maternity units
- Staff moved to tears by damning report into Barrow maternity failures
- Supermarket approved for Ulverston
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
- Barrow AFC keeper seeks new contract
- Fylde striker and ex-Barrow AFC player warns - title race not over yet
- Aussie ace out to impress for Barrow Raiders
- Top GB prospect backs Barrow fighter
- Charities benefit from Barrow boxing night
- Players Quick off the mark at Furness College: with picture gallery
- Duddon paddlers claim eight first places
Visit our websites for...
- Owners vow to rebuild after alleged drink driver smashes into Barrow chippy (13 comments)
- Starving Ulverston children left ‘looking like urchins from Oliver Twist’
- Walney bridge to close this weekend (42 comments)
- Cyclist still in serious condition following Ulverston crash at the A590 junction
- Barrow hotel to be demolished (39 comments)
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|