Barrow Raiders captain Harrison wins top sports award
Last updated at 17:09, Friday, 09 November 2012
BARROW Raiders captain Liam Harrison was last night crowned Barrow Borough Sports Council Sportsperson of the Year.
Harrison picked up the prize as reward for an outstanding season, in which he helped his hometown club to promotion to the Championship and a Grand Final appearance, as well as winning several player-of-the-year awards.
Barrow and Furness Striders cross country team won the Open Age Team Of the Year prize at the annual sports awards held at The Forum, following their stunning Mid Lancashire Division One cross country league success.
Emily Bolton, the brilliant junior table tennis star from Askam, picked up the Junior Sportsperson of the Year prize, while Askam RLFC’s superb under-14s side were Junior Team of the Year.
It was an occasion to celebrate the unsung heroes of sport as well as the outstanding performers, with Brogan Stewart winning the Young Sports Volunteer of the Year award, and Pat Ryan Service to Sport awards handed to Tommy Jefferson, of Barrow Island RL, Matt Graham and Danny Miller, of Askam Wadoki Karate Club, the Barrow and District JFL’s Dave Tyson, Bob Woods, of Hawcoat Park, Joanne Irvine Leech, of the Islanders Dance Troupe, and Barrow Amateur Boxing Club’s Jeff Moses.
Don’t miss: Full report and pictures in Saturday’s Evening Mail.
First published at 16:53, Friday, 09 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
Visit our websites for...
- Ulverston gridlock driver prosecuted (58 comments)
- Barrow workers wait to hear about Tesco closures (23 comments)
- Barrow shipyard workers face ballot on seven-day week pay deal (41 comments)
- Car and motorbike crash on A590 between Lindal and Dalton
- Full story - 150 jobs to be axed at Barrow factory (9 comments)
- Barrow MP challenges ‘eccentric’ Russell to Trident showdown (34 comments)
- Angry Barrow families protest against minibus charges for nurseries (15 comments)
- Pub giant responds to empty Walney building alert (3 comments)
- Dalton zoo boss to learn of licence fate today (4 comments)
- Meeting to determine "suitability" of Dalton zoo boss taking place today (3 comments)
Post 16 education
A new year - a new you
Light up a life
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|