Barrow boxer knuckles down after injury setback
Last updated at 15:57, Monday, 28 October 2013
BOXER Liam Conroy has enjoyed a successful 2013 with three wins from three fights – even though he wishes it could be four from four.
The Barrow ABC product was set for the seventh bout of a promising professional career on Friday November 22, but he has been forced to pull out of the Coldwell Boxing Hot Shots show due to a hand injury.
Conroy cracked the knuckle on his right index finger during his hard-earned points victory over Gary Cooper at Bowlers, Manchester, last month.
The injury turned out be worse than the light-middleweight prospect had first feared. He flew to Tunisia for a holiday with girlfriend Melissa two days after the contest, believing the swelling on his right hand would soon subside.
However, after being pencilled in to appear on the Hot Shots bill, Conroy was soon forced to pull out of the Bowlers show after his return from holiday a fortnight later.
The 21-year-old realised something was badly wrong when he had to quit a sparring session because he was in too much pain, and when his trainer Johnney Roye sent him to hospital for an x-ray, the break was revealed.
The injury meant a six-week period without using his right fist, and comes as a blow for a fighter who has made good progress this year, after the shock of suffering his first and only pro defeat to date last December, at the hands of Gilson De Jesus.
Explaining how he discovered the extent of the finger injury, Conroy said: “It swelled up pretty badly and was very sore after the fight, but I was going on holiday with Melissa two days later, so I went on holiday thinking it would get better when I was away.
“But two weeks later when I came home it was still dead sore. I tried to spar at the gym but it was agony so I had to get out of the ring and Johnney (Roye) told me to go and get an x-ray and they told me it was broken.
“Even though it was still sore when I landed back off holiday I still thought I would have time for it to get better and I never expected to be broken at all.”
He added: “It’s just one of things. It means another two weeks without being able to punch or lift any weight.
“I’m doing all my technical drills and running and punching a bag with one hand.”
Conroy is now concentrating on making a return to the ring as soon as possible in the New Year.
“I’m just going to keep training right through as if I’m starting my training camp now,” added the BAE Systems employee, who is going to watch some other fighters in action in the near future – including those on the Hot Shots bill he was supposed to be appearing in.
“It’s a good bill, I’m pretty gutted about not being on, but there’s not much I can do about it,” said Conroy, who has also been doing some road work with his old Brook Street stablemate and good pal Ross Cooksey, who has some big amateur bouts on the horizon.
Reflecting on the progress he has made in 2013 with victories over Kieron Gray, Duane Green and Gary Cooper, Conroy added: “It’s been a good year. I’ve definitely made good progress.
“Considering I finished on a loss last year it has been a good turnaround and hopefully I can keep on getting better next year.”
First published at 15:53, Monday, 28 October 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Alert over door-to-door fish sales in Cumbria
- Sarah Millican Barrow tickets sell out in 45 minutes
- Work on £5m Barrow regeneration project starts this month
- Lake District rescue team assist walkers lost in the dark
- Police appeal after report of inappropriate conduct towards girl in Barrow
- Weather warning for Cumbria - gales expected
- Police investigating collision at Barrow taxi firm
- Pupils hit a high note at South Cumbria Musical Festival
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents
- Barrow AFC held by Bradford Park Avenue
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
- Barrow AFC boss facing selection headaches
- The Weekly Meeks: Bradford clash will be no walk in the Park
- Walney Cents' Finch back for top-of-the-table clash
- Hawcoat Park aim to produce another big home display
- Kirkby look to steer cup treble chasers off course
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|