Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Thursday, 02 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Askam triumph against dogged Millom resistance

ASKAM pursued their quest for a Centrica Energy KO Cup and Cumbria Cup double with victory over Millom at Craven Park.

Full of confidence after an extra-time win over Hawcoat Storm in the semi-finals, the Villagers used their big forwards to full advantage against the Maroons.

With both sides playing attractive rugby, the opening period was tight, with strong running from Askam second rower Daniel Horne making good yards.

After withstanding some Millom pressure, the Green and Golds went ahead after a great solo effort from James Wallis, coming off the back of strong drives from Jake Davies and Jacob Monk.

Scrum half Keir Shepherd added the extras to make it 6-0.

Askam gained in confidence, with Shepherd and hooker Zak Steel guiding the team round the park.

Prop Tyler Williamson gave the side a huge boost with a 30-yard run to put Askam deep into Millom territory, before Shepherd put a kick in, forcing the error from the resulting scrum.

Wallis picked up at the base and ran in from 20 yards for his second, with Shepherd adding the extras for 12-0.

The Askam defence held out, with Lian Knowles and Lee Irving impressing, before centre Ollie Parsons, Horne, Wallis and Williamson put Askam into the Millom 20 with good runs.

Steel and Shepherd then linked up to put Horne in for 16-0.

The Villagers were settled now and strong defence laid the groundwork for Wallis’s third try, beating six players and out-running the cover to make it 20-0.

Millom looked stronger in the second half, but they could not find a way through the Askam line and it was not long before the Green and Golds came back, with Willis making another break only to be stopped by the defensive cover.

Kyle Evans made some darting runs for the Maroons, and along with Tyler Lancaster’s strong tackling, this ensured they were back in the game.

It was not long before Askam scored again though, with Joe Walker and Horne setting the stage to allow Steel to jump out of acting half-back and go over the line, 24-0.

Millom now put themselves on the scoreboard, with a quick thinking chip over Askam’s defence by Ethan Bickerdike grounded by Theo Wilson.

The kick was converted by Ethan Bickerdike for 24-6.

Askam responded and sealed the game as Wallis scored his fourth, but Millom were not finished.

A strong 70-yard run by Kyle Evans laid the groundwork for Wilson to score his second, taking the offload and going in to make the final score 28-10.

Wallis took the man-of-the-match for Askam – who now face Wath Brow Hornets in the semi-finals of the Cumbria Cup – with Tyler Lancaster best for Millom.


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out