Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Friday, 03 July 2015

Subscriptions  |  evouchers  |  Jobs  |  Property  |  Motors  |  Travel  |  Dating  |  Family Notices

Askam hit double figures against Walney

ASKAM United gained revenge for losing to Walney Island a fortnight ago with an incredible 11-2 hammering at Duddon Road in West Lancs Division Two.

Callum Rayner bagged four goals on Saturday, with Kyle Jefferson scoring a hat-trick and further goals from Kris McLean, Scott Dempsey, Kev Edwards and Keiran Braithwaite.

The win does not take Askam above Walney in the table, although any of the top-seven sides will still fancy their chances of gaining promotion this season. Walney’s goals came from Matt Lockley and Chris Moorby.

In Division One, Furness Rovers won the local derby at Hawcoat Park 3-1 to help manager Dave Staunton celebrate his 60th birthday.

Hawcoat’s Kev Murphy scored at both ends and their cause was further hampered by Mike Hillman being sent off.
Rovers’ other goals came from Hakan McCracken and Liam Shields.

Millom remain on the bottom of the table after losing 5-1 at BAC Preston, where Phil Edmondson scored their goal.

Crooklands Casuals gained three more crucial points in their bid for survival in the Premier Division through a hard-fought 2-1 win over fellow strugglers Thornton Cleveleys.

On a heavy pitch at Longlands Park, Jonny Jones put the home side ahead, but the visitors levelled just before half-time.

A superb left-footed strike from Dave Goude restored the lead 10 minutes after the break and, despite some late pressure, Cassies held on to win.

Vickerstown travelled to early pacesetters Eagley and took the lead through Rob Bruce.

The home side have struggled recently, but managed to turn the game round and ran out 3-1 victors against a Town side who played well despite missing a couple of key players.

The bad weather caused a number of games to be postponed again across the local football scene, with the West Lancs games at Dalton United, Furness Cavaliers and Barrow Wanderers all called off.

Holker Old Boys’ North West Counties Division One game at Atherton Collieries and Swarthmoor’s North Lancs Cup tie with Boys Club were also victims of the weather.

In the Furness Premier League, seven of the 15 games did go ahead, but the heavy rain during these games will have caused the groundsmen a few headaches.

In the Rifleman’s Garage Premier Division, Furness Rovers reserves and Barrow Celtic drew 1-1 at the Training Pitch. Andrew Currie was again on target for Rovers, with Jordan Chapman scoring for Celtic.

Kirkby United beat Hawcoat Park reserves 4-1 with goals from Mike Birkett, Paul Cleasby, Tom Harrison and 17-year-old Andrew Benson, who came off the bench to score his first open-age goal. Ryan Brown replied for Hawcoat, who stay bottom of the table.

Barrow Island won the big game in Premier Tiles Division One to stay top of the table by inflicting a first league defeat on Swarthmoor Social reserves. Island won 3-1, with Phil Kyle, Chris Starkie and Steve Day getting the goals, while Josh Price scored for Swarthmoor.

Askam United reserves did not quite match their first team’s exploits, but still hit Dalton United A for seven at Ormsgill.

Dean Crossman scored for a strengthened Dalton, with the Askam scorers being Joe Braund-Smith (3), Simon Thompson (2), Andy Green and Steve Wilton.

In Division Two, Britannia stay top despite being held to a 3-3 draw by Hawcoat Park A.

In an excellent game on a heavy pitch that had also staged several junior games, both sides played good football.

Steve Young put Hawcoat ahead with a lovely curled shot from the edge of the box, but Lee Pharaoh equalised with a stunning long-range strike.

Brit had a number of chances to go ahead, hitting the bar and having three efforts cleared off the line, before Danny Keenan, playing his first game in six weeks, made it 2-1 just before half-time.

Hawcoat got back on level terms when Young scored his second of the game, but Mike Doherty restored the Brit’s lead just after the hour-mark.

With six minutes left, Mark Jackson made it 3-3 from the penalty spot to ensure the game ended with honours even.

Second-placed Haverigg United reserves opened up a six-point gap on the teams below them with a 2-1 win over Furness Rovers A.

Craig Armstrong and Dan Munroe scored for Haverigg, with Joe Bradbury replying for Rovers.

Bootle Reserves joined Rovers on 10 points with a 3-2 victory at Biggar Bank against Walney Island A.

Will Singleton, Kevin Hartley and Liam Woodhouse scored for Bootle, while Jon Harding and Ben Finlay were on target for Walney. 

Have your say

Be the first to comment on this article!

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


North West Evening Mail What's on search

Powered by

Hot Jobs

Loading latest hot jobs...
Powered by Zoopla.co.uk

Featured companies

Searching for featured companies...
Search for:


Are you enjoying the hot weather?



Show Result


Is it time to rethink who sits in the House of Lords?



Show Result

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22

To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code

North West Evening Mail

Evening Mail Going Out