Scorpions new boy aiming to sting Raiders
Published at 15:06, Friday, 04 May 2012
A FORMER Leeds Rhinos Academy forward who has not played competitive rugby league for 10 years can’t wait to test himself against Barrow Raiders on Sunday.
Alun Wyn Davies left Leeds to join Welsh rugby union club Ospreys in 2003 but has been tempted to leave Swansea RU to join Dave Clark’s South Wales Scorpions and is itching to show what he can do against Barrow.
Davies came on as substitute in last week’s friendly win against Wigan’s under-20s, but is now ready for the real thing.
“I know Barrow are going well and are one of the front runners and favourites for promotion but I am not fazed by their reputation,” he said.
“I will be concentrating on my own game and improving with each performance.
“Against Wigan it was all about learning the timing and physicality of rugby league. I realised I was only getting hit straight on while in union I could get smashed from all angles.
“But league is a lot quicker and as a forward you need to be fitter. You only get a limited time to catch your breath and unlike in union you don’t get the scrums to take a breather. It was a real eye-opener.
“But after that win, everybody’s mentality changed overnight.
“The team knows that we can win and do it against the good sides. We can’t wait to take on Barrow.”
But former Craven Park boss Clark was not being carried away by the success against Wigan’s youngsters.
“It was a big deal for the team and they played really well for a memorable win. But we have to kick on from here and this win won’t mean anything unless we go forward against Barrow and put in the same effort on Sunday,” said Clark.
The Scorpions, who will include ex-Barrow hooker Nathan Mossop, have not made the best of starts, winning only one of their five games.
Finishing has been their biggest problem – their points total of 76 is the lowest in Championship One – and they are lying outside the top six.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Hope the Raider's get a big win the last time I saw them in South Wales we got battered
Make your comment
- Rugby player, 15, suffers neck injury at Millom game
- Ulverston toilet debate continues
- Barrow hospital chef to appear on TV with celebrity chef James Martin
- Lake District artist’s portrait of the Queen pressed onto new coins
- Barrow street attacks surge sparks police alert (2 comments)
- Archbishop of York John Sentamu to visit Barrow
- Dinghy and boat trailer stolen from Ambleside
- Labour by-election victory gives party new confidence
- Hundreds attend Dalton's first beer festival
- Warning to Cumbria parents and children over suffocating 'Sleeper'
- Crarey blasts 'schoolboy' Barrow Raiders
- Edmo calls for one final push with Barrow AFC on brink of title
- Fleetwood fly to Barrow win:with picture gallery
- Askam edge thriller:with picture gallery
- Trophy triumph for Vickerstown (1 comment)
- Ormsgill beat Millom to reach final:with picture gallery
- Barrow AFC edge closer to title glory:with picture gallery (18 comments)
- Rochdale run riot against Barrow Raiders:with picture gallery
- Barrow cricketer smashes world record (1 comment)
- REMEMBER WHEN: The Woolveridge brothers bossed Furness RL
- Familiar call for more health service money
- WEDDING ALBUM: Kirsty Haddock and Ryan Brown
- FOOD REVIEW: Storrs Hall On The Lake, Windermere
- Guitar smashers made a big noise at old Public Hall
- Searching for story of plate
- A £20 car boot find is sold for £7,000
- TRAVEL REVIEW: Greek island Lefkas
- Customer service? Never heard of it! (2 comments)
- Camilla bashing is right royal nonsense
- Town’s 13 butchers and a soap maker