Barrow Raiders swoop for Barrow Island flier Brannon
Last updated at 11:48, Sunday, 30 December 2012
RAIDERS have swooped for Barrow Island flier Tom Brannon.
The outstanding young winger has inked a deal with the Craven Park club and looks ideally equipped to make the step-up to the professional ranks.
Coach Darren Holt is looking forward to working with the 19-year-old prospect as he works on formulating his squad for the fast-approaching 2013 pre-season campaign.
Holt spotted Brannon’s potential a few years back and invited him to play for Furness rugby union club and he has charted his progress since at Barrow Island, while under the stewardship of Dean Marwood.
Holt said of the one-time Warrington Wolves Academy player: “When Dean came back on board we sat down and had a chat about local lads who we think could make the step-up and Tom was one at the top of the list.
“We had a chat with Tom to see if he was interested and he seemed very keen to come down with us and so it panned out.
“He is an out-and-out winger. He can motor, I think he will be up there with James Nixon (Raiders winger).
“He’s got a lot of heart, he is a very brave player and hopefully coming into the environment we’ve got, it will bring him on.
“We’ve given Tom the opportunity and it’s down to him if he takes it and how it goes.
“He is a young lad and it will be a big step-up going into the Championship, there’s no getting round that.”
Brannon has turned out for Furness RU in the Cumbria League this term, and has also been training with the Raiders for a couple of weeks, and took part in a fitness session at Barrow Amateur Boxing Club, under the watchful eye of Brook Street head coach Jeff Moses.
Added Holt: “He’s a talent, he’s got a lot to learn, but myself, Dean and Akky (assistant Phil Atkinson) have seen something. We think we can improve his game, he’s certainly got all the raw materials to make it as a player, it is up to us now to try and help him develop.
“Knowing Tom’s attitude, I think he will settle in quite well, hopefully we will see some results quite soon from him.”
Raiders Director of Rugby Andy Gaffney added: “This signing sends out a clear message that the club are determined to continue with their policy of recruiting the most talented of the area’s young players.
“We have been watching Tom for some time and have been impressed by him every time we have seen him play.
“Tom is the latest in a long line of local juniors to join the Craven Park set-up and it is fair to say that we are still watching a number of others.
“Tom has all the necessary skills to make the grade in the modern game, as you would expect of a player who has been developed through the Barrow Island system.”
Barrow Island stalwart John Jefferson said of Brannon: “He’s a good talent. He’s all right, a good strong player. He played with us as a kid and played with our first team last year.”
The Raiders players are heading to Furness General Hospital children’s ward tomorrow morning to hand out presents.
First published at 16:13, Thursday, 20 December 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
Have your say
Be the first to comment on this article!
Make your comment
- Cumbria rescuers called to 69-year-old man stuck on mountain
- Warning of traders selling mattresses door to door in Barrow
- Five parents faced ‘home alone’ probe in Cumbria
- Cumbria victim attacked as she breastfed baby
- Barrow children paid tribute to caretaker who died from a brain tumour
- Ulverston gala event provides fitting end to Cumbria music festival
- Number of recorded rapes up by more than half in Cumbria
- Big swing would be required for red seat to change colour
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Otter found in Cumbria puddle is now doing swimmingly
- Edmo: Barrow AFC can handle the pressure
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against Bradford Park Avenue (5 comments)
- Walney Central move to top of table after home win
- Barrow boxer Liam has to settle for a draw
- Late goal sees Kirkby United book place in trophy final
- Edgy Barrow AFC draw a blank against gutsy Bradford
- Edmo urges Barrow AFC fans to raise the volume (1 comment)
- Loan ace in line to earn permanent Barrow AFC switch
- Casson confident over Barrow AFC title bid
- Wilson hails Barrow AFC squad strength
Visit our websites for...
Great Daffodil appeal 2015
Homes and gardens 21
Power to switch
Walk to remember
Choosing a secondary school
To save our contact details direct to your smartphone simply scan this QR code
|Evening Mail Going Out|